Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robinson Table saw rebuild finished

Robinson Table saw rebuild finished

Finally finished another never ending job. Started this a few years ago, I was planning on keeping it but had a customer ask to buy it so I finished off for him and it is shipping this week to California.
    It weas an incredible amount of work. completely stripped, cleaned, primed painted, new shafts for the rise and fall and tilt, new collars, new bushings, new washers made, all hot gun blued, new riving knife and bracket made, new rosewood handle, hand scraped rip fence, it just seemed to go on and on. but it is done! Strange feeling, sad to see it go but glad that it's done.

Thomas Robinson ET/E sliding table joinery saw, 18" blade 7.5hp,weight 2300 lbs

Robinson2023-10-12-1.jpg PXL_20231106_235441956.jpg PXL_20231106_235851749.jpg PXL_20231106_235518692.jpg PXL_20231106_235636388.jpg PXL_20231106_235757108.jpg PXL_20231106_235837685.jpg RobinsonETE (7).jpg

Wow- that's a lot of machine, and a lot of work!

Did you do the machining yourself?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful work!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks. Yes, i did all of the work. I will post more photos over the net few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Wow- that's a lot of machine, and a lot of work!

Did you do the machining yourself?

Amazing work as usual. Thanks for sharing!

6. Well done on finishing the Robinson Table Saw restoration! You should be commended for your attention to detail; it sounds like a very involved and rigorous project. Your meticulous attention to detail in stripping, cleaning, priming, painting, and replacing different parts is quite impressive.

Blog Entries
    Very impressive work and machine! A video showing it operate would be very cool to see.
    Best Regards, Maurice

That’s a saw that inspires confidence and respect.
    I would take that saw over 10 saw stops any day.
    Aj

Another tool you have brought back to it's original glory. Definitely a great job of restoration. Looks like a beast and I bet it's smooth as silk when powered up. Always enjoy your projects because you do them so well. Do you find time for woodworking? LOL

Looking forward to more photos! Thanks for sharing

Nice work Mark, wish I could have put you in a friends sandblast booth its a full automotive booth with a crane. He can do anything in it then has three compressors in a sound proof room and he runs 200 PSI. Robinson machine here and Brookman are amazing quality. Better than the wadkin I have.

The old guy said Germans were the best on the machinery and Italians next. I get it based on industry here but the British stuff at least the Brookman and Robinson were on par with German machines. Rolls Royce quality.

That's quite a beast of a machine! Very nice looking restoration and I'm sure that the person buying it will enjoy the heck out of that massive thang...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Amazing work, Mark. No matter how much you sold it for I think your customer got a true bargain.

John

Thanks to all. The Robinson is a serious machine, really interesting roller table system. Quite fascinating to see how these old machines are made.
    Warren, a full sandblast room would be great! bid stuff I have sandblasted outside with a temporary plastic sheet fence, the smaller stuff is done in my home-made sandblast cabinet, not the best, but it gets it done. the most psi I use is about 100, so it's slow going. Lots of filling and block sanding on the old castings, them multiple primer and sanding, the multiple top coats.
    Flask1a.jpg Flask2a.jpg Flask3a.jpg Flask4a.jpg PXL_20210429_191200481a.jpg PXL_20210429_195911942a.jpg

Curious about the idea of hot bluing the shafts. Was it for aesthetics or for rust inhibition? Did you do the hot bluing? I'd like to hear more about the shaft fabrication and bluing.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation