Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Discoveries and inventions

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

One of the operations I most enjoyed doing was AVRs..........

........ Kept my transesophageal echocardiography skills state-of-the art.......
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. But most important, how does this translate to half-blind dovetails?

I'm astounded, Alan. Gonna have to start calling you Sir.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

NRI or maybe CAT scans were being developed/improved at LBL. The lead experimenter had taken hundreds of scans of animals and people. He decided maybe his lead tech should get an x-ray license. So the tech went to x-ray school part time and had to keep telling the class the text book was wrong. It was now possible to get certain images the book said could not be done.
    Bill D.
    PS: None of the early nuclear physics pioneers had a degree in nuclear physics. Including those with Nobel prizes in physics.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-19-2023 at 8:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    But most important, how does this translate to half-blind dovetails?
    You mean the Aortic Valve Replacement wasn't joined to the Aorta with dovetails?

None of the early nuclear physics pioneers had a degree in nuclear physics. Including those with Nobel prizes in physics.
    Probably because there wasn't any nuclear physicists to teach college or university level classes at the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You mean the Aortic Valve Replacement wasn't joined to the Aorta with dovetails?
    Couldn't get the blue tape to stick.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Probably because there wasn't any nuclear physicists to teach college or university level classes at the time.

jtk
    Mmmm, brings back the old "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Nicolas Appert invented canning around 1810 and got prise money from Napoleon for preserving food. He used wine bottles so why is it called canning?
    BilLD

Maybe because whining was already taken?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Have you ever noticed how sometimes, seemingly unsolvable problems seem to lessen because of a timely invention or discovery? Like maybe polio vaccine, penicillin or the Aids Cocktail, and like the cotton gin, or steam power?

In the discovery category, we have a new entrant. With the rise of the electric cars and such....it was just announced on an investment program that they have discovered a Lithium deposit larger than Australia's, in Canada, North of Quebec. Large investments are already starting.

Seems to me this should lessen some of the concerns about getting it from Africa and China.
    Google put this article by Sammy Roth in my news feed. It is very interesting.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...-boiling-point
    Best Regards, Maurice