Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for someone with a Shaper Origin in / around PHL

Looking for someone with a Shaper Origin in / around PHL

Long shot here...I want to inlay a logo into a project. I should get a Shaper, but I'm trying to put that purchase off for a bit. Anyone in Philadelphia have a Shaper and want to make a few bucks on a quick project?

Normally, I'd likely offer for you to bring the component here and I'd cut the logo for you with my CNC machine in my shop. But I'm about to have wrist surgery and will not be able to be in the shop for awhile. Hopefully, you can find another resource.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Appreciate it Jim. Hopefully someone can help, and if not...maybe it forces me to pull the trigger...

If it's shippable I'd be happy to help. I'm in Lewiston, NY.

John

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Appreciate it Jim. Hopefully someone can help, and if not...maybe it forces me to pull the trigger...
    If you anticipate that most of your needs could be satisfied with the Shaper Origin with or without their table, it could be a good investment. It's a really versatile tool for many things. Inlays like you want to do are a piece of cake, but you can also use the machine for joinery which can be both interesting and satisfying. And it packs away in a Systainer when not in use.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If it's shippable I'd be happy to help. I'm in Lewiston, NY.

John
    Thanks John. Unfortuantely this was an after the fact thought, so its part of a fully glued up chair so local (or finally buy that Shaper) are probably my only good options.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you anticipate that most of your needs could be satisfied with the Shaper Origin with or without their table, it could be a good investment. It's a really versatile tool for many things. Inlays like you want to do are a piece of cake, but you can also use the machine for joinery which can be both interesting and satisfying. And it packs away in a Systainer when not in use.
    Its funny. The Shaper was the "dumbest idea I'd ever seen" (my quote) when it came out. And as they've added features and its proven that it can actually do what it was supposed to do, its gotten more and more interesting to me. The plate and workstation even more so.

I got my shaper about two months ago. (Damn tool addiction). The more I use it, the more I see its potential. Unfortunately I’m four hours from Philly.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Its funny. The Shaper was the "dumbest idea I'd ever seen" (my quote) when it came out. And as they've added features and its proven that it can actually do what it was supposed to do, its gotten more and more interesting to me. The plate and workstation even more so.
    Yea, my initial reaction was "Wednesday, Thursday, Friday", but the more I've seen what folks do with it over time, the more I'm impressed. I'd seriously consider one for joinery if I was actually building a lot of things that demanded cut joinery. LOL The table/plate coming out was a game changer for that kind of work, IMHO.

----

I got my shaper about two months ago. (Damn tool addiction). The more I use it, the more I see its potential.

Clark, I can see the Shaper Origin being a real asset to your work.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, my initial reaction was "Wednesday, Thursday, Friday", but the more I've seen what folks do with it over time, the more I'm impressed. I'd seriously consider one for joinery if I was actually building a lot of things that demanded cut joinery. LOL The table/plate coming out was a game changer for that kind of work, IMHO.
    ----

It also makes joinery specific machines like a PantoRouter or a JDS Multi-Router seem so...quaint. The portability of the Domino probably keeps it around for me if I were to get the Shaper + accessories, but honestly, I'd almost consider selling the Domino to (partially) fund the Shaper...

I wouldn't give up my Domino 700XL for the Shaper Origin. They are complimentary, at least in my mind. But that kind of decision is alway predicated by how an individual uses/would use them.
    --

----

It also makes joinery specific machines like a PantoRouter or a JDS Multi-Router seem so...quaint. The portability of the Domino probably keeps it around for me if I were to get the Shaper + accessories, but honestly, I'd almost consider selling the Domino to (partially) fund the Shaper...
    You'll never do things as quickly and no better accuracy with the Shaper as you can with the Domino, Multi-Router, etc. Those machines may seem quaint, but they are very efficient at what they do. Keep the Domino.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You'll never do things as quickly and no better accuracy with the Shaper as you can with the Domino, Multi-Router, etc. Those machines may seem quaint, but they are very efficient at what they do. Keep the Domino.

John
    Its funny. I always think about getting rid of the Domino because I don't use it that often. But when I do...there is NOTHING that can do what it does as efficiently.

That is to say....it is usually used to fix my mistakes...and for that, its indespensible.

James, I applaud your composure and restraint. I'm just a serious hobbyist and anytime I "need" a tool I can't resist but buy it. I will say I'm reserved about what I buy, do a ton of research, but once I know I want it, it's game over LOL. As an example, a few weeks ago I just bought a set of Frontline panel clamps...oh my oh my, they are as lovely as the venerable Domino, which I also couldn't live without.

Keep the Domino, and good luck on finding someone, but don't look too hard since that might be just the excuse to pickup a Shaper Origin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    James, I applaud your composure and restraint. I'm just a serious hobbyist and anytime I "need" a tool I can't resist but buy it. I will say I'm reserved about what I buy, do a ton of research, but once I know I want it, it's game over LOL. As an example, a few weeks ago I just bought a set of Frontline panel clamps...oh my oh my, they are as lovely as the venerable Domino, which I also couldn't live without.

Keep the Domino, and good luck on finding someone, but don't look too hard since that might be just the excuse to pickup a Shaper Origin

This is getting to be a funny thread. A few years ago I asked what everyone thought about the Shaper Origin. Universally, everyone said it was too expensive for what it could do. Now it seems like everyone wants one. Maybe it was too expensive back then for what it could do, but as someone said, it can do so much more now as the product accessories have grown around it.

John