Thread: My single runner TS sled and a few tweaks

My single runner TS sled and a few tweaks

I like the idea of a single runner TS sled because they can be lighter and a more manageable size.

Mine has a few tweaks -
    - a matching companion piece to support offcuts for cleaner cuts
    - two fences
    A - the front fence supports the material I'm cutting.
    B - the rear fence does double-duty -
    - push the sled without having to worry about distorting the front fence's alignment
    - fine adjustment using the 1/4-20 bolt for on the left side

Youtube contributed lots of ideas. I combined the best from four woodworkers who generously shared their output.

Thank you to an anonymous YouTuber
    - your use of two pieces of engineered flooring for the two-part single runner sled sparked this idea

Thank you to Nick Engler
    - how to dimple HDPE strips for a precise fit in a TS mitre slots using a countersink and machine screws
    - use a countersink to increase accuracy when installing threaded inserts for a no-fuss fit
    - how to set up a 1/4-20 bolt as a fine adjuster rather than drill multiple holes in the bottom of the sled to fine tune the fence

Thank you to Patrick Sullivan
    - your simple technique for seating threaded inserts nice and square sure saved me a lot of aggro

Thank you to Scott Walsh
    - the simplest and most direct explanation of the 5-cut method I've ever seen that relied on just simple arithmetic
    - kudos!TS sled - 2-part single runner sled.jpgTS sled - main fence with pushing fence.jpgTS sled - pushing fence with micro adjust.jpg
    Howard Rosenberg

Very cool. I'm a big fan of the one-miter crosscut with drop plate. It's what I use most of the time too. I did add a t-track along the fence so I could have a stop-block.

I have a few squares I use for every build, if that says it's square, it's square (enough). Never used the 5-cut method, but I have seen Scott's take on it.

Drop plate. I like it. Thanks for that.

And yes, a stop block system will be added soon enough.

As for squares, yes - I get that. This version of the 5-cut method now provides accuracy I've never had since 1998 - I'm just about delirious!
    Howard Rosenberg

Sorry, but what is a drop plate?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Sorry, but what is a drop plate?
    If the fence is only on one side of the blade, the other side will drop to the saw's table and potentially create an imperfect cut line or tear out. The "drop plate" just sits on the other side of the blade and prevents the workpiece from dropping.

OK, thanks. Familiar with it, but never heard that name before.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.