Thread: Track saw blade and track shopping advice needed.

Track saw blade and track shopping advice needed.

So, I have finally decided to get a track saw. I will not use it very much and cannot justify getting one of the high end models. I am a hobbyist woodworker. If I was a pro or making large quantities of cabinets it would be different.

I am going to get a Wen 6 1/2”. It has a 20mm arbor like most of the other track saws. I need suggestions for a good blade for plywood. I thought I’ll get a Makita, most everyone mentions them. But there are lots of choices. Some blades are listed for cordless track saws. I assume they are thiner to extend battery life. Or not? Does it matter? Tooth count?

Same for the track. Makita sounds good but there are lots of others

With Black Friday sales in progress maybe I’ll find a good price for a blade and track

Suggestions please and where to buy if you know of any good deals. Amazon, Home Depot, Acme, Tool Nut, etc…

No experience with Wen track saws. I'd probably opt for 7-1/4 if it was me. As far as plywood goes, more teeth the better. I see Wen makes a 56-tooth and 60-tooth blades for their saws. So, I'd maybe try those first? It probably comes with a 24'ish blade? That's fine for ripping and maybe some hardwoods, but terrible for plywood, unless you use masking tape and a really sharp blade!

Depending on your budget and use-case maybe you can find a Dewalt, Milwaukee, Kreg or Makita on the cheap over the holiday as a kit.

Do you possibly already own a skill type saw? If so, you may want to look into the Bora guides.

I've been using the 7 1/4" WEN for about 2 years. Relatively light usage to breakdown sheet goods or straight-line rip things too bulky for the TS. Honestly, I have no complaints for the price. I like the 7 1/4" as it uses standard 5/8" arbor blades.

I bought the PowerTec tracks. Again, for the price they've worked well. I've been thinking of getting a 110" track, but haven't yet.

All in it cost me under $300, and I'm still happy with the decision.

I have been a very happy Freud customer for near 30 years now. When I bought my tracksaw I purchased a Freud Plywood Melamine blade and have been very pleased with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

IMHO a tracksaw is a huge improvement over a circular saw and a guide. I used a circular saw and a guide for decades and my track saw is probably twice as fast and leaves much better cuts than my circular saw with a comparable Freud Plywood blade ever did.

I went pretty much top of the line and purchased a Mafell track saw. Having owned it for a few years now I still absolutely love the saw but I am confident a lower end saw like the Makita would have been just as good for my uses which is mostly breaking down sheet goods. I am not familiar with the Wren saw, I don't think it was an option when I was shopping.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-17-2023 at 4:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I've been using the 7 1/4" WEN for about 2 years. Relatively light usage to breakdown sheet goods or straight-line rip things too bulky for the TS. Honestly, I have no complaints for the price. I like the 7 1/4" as it uses standard 5/8" arbor blades.

I bought the PowerTec tracks. Again, for the price they've worked well. I've been thinking of getting a 110" track, but haven't yet.

All in it cost me under $300, and I'm still happy with the decision.
    I paid ~$1000 for my Mafell track saw kit... I highly doubt it makes a better cut or is significantly more productive than the Wren saw.

I felt the same about the higher end track saw models when I got mine, so I went with Grizzly. I've been very happy with it. I got their track and accessory package at the same time, and it all works nicely together. They have a package on sale now, just over $200 for the saw, track, clamps and such. I went with Freud for other blades, happy with those as well. I don't know anything about the Wen, but I would highly recommend the Grizzly. https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...undle/t33300zx

The Wen is one of the Festool compatible track saws that include, Wen, Festool, Makita, Evolution and Powertech - tracks.

Track saw blades usually come in two different diameters - 160mm and 165mm.
    The Wen takes a 165mm blade with a 20mm arbor. That means the Wen can use blades from Festool (160mm), Makita (165mm) and DeWalt (165mm) - as well as any other third party - such as Forrest and Freud and Oshlun.
    Since the Wen can take the larger diameter blade, it can also accept the 160mm blades made by and/or Festool.
    (& yes - the Makita cordless blades are thin kerf).
    The most important thing to remember is - the 20mm arbor.

(A regular circular saw has a 5/8" (18mm) arbor)

As far as "good deals" go, keep a close eye on Home Depot on Thursday morning bright and early - like 4:00 am or so - when they put up their actual Black Friday ad. I got my Makita cordless track saw on one of those sales. It came with one 55" track, four 5AH batteries and a two battery quick charger - for something like $399.

A word about tracks. Festool tracks are the best. Makita tracks a really good, but, Festool are a tiny bit better. I sold my Festool TS55EQ along with it's two 55" tracks and I regret not keeping those tracks and giving my Makita tracks to the buyer instead.
    They are not so much better that I would go out and buy new Festool and then try to sell my Makita tracks though.
    The difference between the two can't really be seen, but, if you run a finger along the cut, you can feel it. If that makes sense.
    I can't comment on any other tracks as to how good they are.

Hope this helps.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The Wen was my first track saw and it’s amazing for the price. I got the Wen guide rails and Wen track clamps (which are great) for about $200. Can’t beat it.
    Got a Freud blade for it and honestly it cuts as good as my Festool TS55. The Wen lacks some of the ease of use features and anti-splinter and all that but so ouch cheaper.

I’ve considered selling it but I’d probably sell it for like $100, but it’s worth more to me to keep it.

I got this blade:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002I...b_b_asin_title

Thank you all for taking the time to write up detailed replies. I'll be watching the holiday sales.

Over the years I've made several shop made edge guides for my circular saw. I have made them work but it usually involves a lot of fussing and the clamps often are in the way. Before I started my shop floor project I made a couple of guides with the match fit clamps and they worked OK but fell apart as I was finishing.

I haven't used the Wen track saw but I have used the Wen track and it is not good. I use a Makita track saw and bought some cheap Wen tracks and the track joining hardware to make long cuts on roof decks that might result in disaster like track falling off the roof. The tracks do not line up right and the saw gets hung up at the joints. Would probably be better off with a 2x4 and circular saw. The Makita saw and track are good.
    Last edited by Holmes Anderson; 11-18-2023 at 5:17 PM.

In my shop, my corded DeWalt is not a "break down" tool, it makes finish cuts. Every bit as accurate and smooth as my SawStop table saw. I could not get equivalent cuts from my circular saws.

I have had good experience with Wen tools. At church I use an "Evolution" track saw which is also low in cost. It is not a plunge cut saw, it's guard pivots like a circular saw. I do not like that but it works OK. It's positive points are that it uses either 6.5 inch blades or 7.25 inch blades and it cuts metal well. You have to change a washer on the arbor to use a 7.25 inch blade so it cuts the sacrificial edge in a different spot. But a Freud Diablo 7.25 inch blade cuts as good as my DeWalt tracksaw blades and is less expensive. If the 7.25 inch Wen uses regular blades it would be worth consideration for lower blade costs. We used the Evolution to cut up some steel manway planks that were pretty stout. Walkway material. I had to use a slower rate of cut than wood but not really slow. It cut it surprisingly well. I wouldn't do that with my DeWalt but with a $150 saw... It still works fine. I bought us two 50 inch Wen tracks for church but I would not recommend 50 inch tracks. Most come 55 inches which when joined is a lot more comfortable ripping full sheets of plywood. I've seen negative comments on Powertec tracks for straightness. I have no experience. I think I would get them someplace with a good return policy and check them for straightness right away.

I do not like 160mm blades. They reduce the depth of cut just enough that rips in 8/4 stock take two cuts. That is also a place that a 7.25 inch blade would be nice. But with a 165mm blade it usually works.