Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many braces does one man need?

How many braces does one man need?

I am asking all y'all before my wife asks me the same question. With hunting rifles the correct answer is "Just one more baby, just one more."

I did find a 2004 treatise by Bob Smalser in the sticky section here, he talks about 6-14 inch sweeps, in two inch increments, as the most common sizes. I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    In addition to an 8 or 10-inch, a larger 12 or 14-inch brace is handy for those occasions where more torque is required.
    When I woke up this morning I owned one each at 10 and 12 inches of sweep. I was adjusting the angle on the legs of my shop stool with a tapered reamer with the 12 and then the 10 and I said to myself, "Myself, I wonder if I can find a brace with an 8 inch sweep today?"

The braces I owned were hard to steer because they can make enough torque to overcome my one handed steering on the end knob, when using the tapered reamer. Next time I am going to use my tapered reamer in my 'new' 8 inch sweep brace.

How hard do I need to look for a 6 inch sweep? What can I do with a 14 inch sweep brace that won't put me in the hospital with a totally blown out rotator cuff?

FWIW I chose to not purchase a 4 inch bevel gauge. If I recall my new legs and disposable guide are at 15 degrees, but the guide can go in the woodstove if it stops earning its keep. Yes the brace tipped over when I was taking a pic of the sightline.

Thanks

20231117_172134.jpg20231117_172041.jpg20231117_172115.jpg

Also, in the sticky section here I don't see a linked thread about rehabilitating braces. It cannot be that hard, but I am afraid to take apart the chuck on my 10 inch sweep Millers Falls because I am not sure I can put it back together without knowing what I am getting into. Presumably dry graphite powder would be a good choice for lube?

FWIW my 12 inch is a Pexto 5312, I think I have put more revolutions on it than all previous owners combined. My new Stanley 813G seems to have previously belonged to a little old lady from Pasadena. My ten inch sweep Millers Falls has seen the elephant and could use some attention.

Thanks again.

Today, in Nov 2023, I suspect most of the registered users here got my reference. I am ecstatic with my new to me Stanley 813G sweep brace. This ecstatic. Go Granny Go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7J2ZUswA2k

I inherited my father-in-law’s Stanley brace that’s probably from the 40s.

I’m missing something. I can’t get that tool to work. Certainly a hole in my fine woodworking skill set.

One or two of each size sweep...plus a Wimble Brace....Some I leave set up with a bit...Ratchet braces are nice..but not really needed..

BTW...I have about 17 braces, Shhhhhh,,,,
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    FWIW I chose to not purchase a 4 inch bevel gauge.
    Dang, that is a hard to find size. If it was at a reasonable price it would have come home with me.

There are duplicates of most of these in my shop:

Brace Storage.jpg

From right to left is 6 to 14 inch sweep.

Between the eggbeater and the 14" brace is a Stanley #984 Corner Brace. It is handy in tight spaces.

Just realized after looking at the picture over in the left lower corner is the handle for my Wimble brace.

A 6" sweep is handy for small bits, counter sinks screwdriver bits.

These can come in handy:

Twist Brace Bits.jpg

So far my accumulation of these runs from 1/8" up to 5/8".

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-18-2023 at 1:37 AM. Reason: Added, "Just realized… "
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I suppose most people know about Fray, but the brace I really like is my Fray Spofford brace (no ratchet). I'm not home right now, but I think I remember it's an 8 inch brace. I got it a long time ago and it's in beautiful shape - got it for a decent price. The one's I've seen recently have been a bit rough, and expensive. I just like that it's so old.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have one brace , a Stanley with Rosewood grips . As a kid I was fascinated by the “really neat” factor ,and the beauty of the wood.
    It’s been years since I’ve seen any workmen on homes or commercial work using one.

Just one remaining in my shop. It's a Bell System 2101. Kind of stained but otherwise in perfect working order. It gets used about once a year.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

How many braces does one man need? One. But when has that stopped anybody? Right now my user is an old Millers Falls, I don't even know what model it is. But it ratchets and hold bits beautifully. I also have 2-Scotch braces, one plated beechwood English brace, an Ultimatum Brace (Ebony) and an odd brace which appears to be very old, it looks like it might have used pads originally, but somebody made a pad that would then accept "modern" bits. The metal parts are pewter and the brace itself seems to be some fruitwood. While I say it looks old (like 18th century old), I suspect it was made more recently and made to look old). I forgot where I got it, probably Ebay.

I have kept my eyes open for a suitable branch of a sturdy wood with the right curve to make a proper pad brace. I've accumulated enough old center bits to make up a set of pad bits from 1/4-inch up to over an inch. But that's a long way off in terms of priorities and will wait until I retire.

DC

I have about 50 braces in my "collection". I've seen pictures of some collections of 1500. Currently selling some on the bay. Will end up getting rid of most. I have four braces in my tool cabinet. Two simpler ones with no ratchets (lighter weight) and two Miller Falls permaloids. Occasionally I will use a 14" PS&W. I find a tee handle ratchet handle works best for the larger bits. Like an expansive bit boring a 5" hole. As for bits I like the Ford single twist, spoon and Forstners.

Since I was 18 years old I've accumulated a number of braces. The ones that I like are hanging over the workbench and a couple of others are in a drawer.
    I like different types of chucks, jaws, ratchet mechanisms, and handle materials for varying reasons. So, that’s why I have the ones on the wall.
    If I could only have two sizes they would be 8" and 14". If the limit was three sizes it would be 6", 8", and 14".
    Braces are not difficult to rehab. It is usually cleaning and lubricating. At most some braces will need new bearings in the chuck and/or head.

I like all my braces.......picking a favorite is not easy.

IMG_2019.jpg

Two good sites for general brace information:
    - Georges Basement https://www.georgesbasement.com/index.html
    - galootopia https://galootopia.com/old_tools/dri...-brace-advice/

Regards,

Phil

The actual number of braces that one needs is n + 1

Phil

Blog Entries
    How many braces one may need depends on what you are doing.

Here is an image from an old project:

Batch of Braces.jpg

This project involved installing threaded inserts to use 1/4-20 bolts for a pair of large saw horses to be used with my bandsaw. There are two different sizes of holes being drilled, a counter sink and a reamer. Also notice the speed wrench that is like a brace with a different interface for tool holding. Sometimes there is a need to drill holes for large screws, the shaft, a counter sink and a screwdriver blade. Multiple braces for such projects save time from having to always change tooling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Glover View Post
    Since I was 18 years old I've accumulated a number of braces. The ones that I like are hanging over the workbench and a couple of others are in a drawer.
    I like different types of chucks, jaws, ratchet mechanisms, and handle materials for varying reasons. So, that’s why I have the ones on the wall.
    If I could only have two sizes they would be 8" and 14". If the limit was three sizes it would be 6", 8", and 14".
    Braces are not difficult to rehab. It is usually cleaning and lubricating. At most some braces will need new bearings in the chuck and/or head.

I like all my braces.......picking a favorite is not easy.

IMG_2019.jpg

Two good sites for general brace information:
    - Georges Basement https://www.georgesbasement.com/index.html
    - galootopia https://galootopia.com/old_tools/dri...-brace-advice/

Regards,

Phil
    That’s a nice assortment. We’re they restored or found in the wild in that state?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.