Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many braces does one man need?

Don’t need this many but I’ve got 6: a 6” Fray, 8” Stanley Bell System 2101, 10” North Bros. 2101, 12” North Bros. 2100, Stanley 984 corner brace, and a massive 10” German made Dunlap. The Dunlap is interesting in that it has a 4 jaw chuck that will hold any type of bit. I’ve never seen another like it.

Rob,

What you see is pretty much how I found these. I try to buy braces that need as little work as possible.
    What I do is clean the wood with mineral spirits and a blue paper towel. The metal is cleaned with 0000 steel wool and WD-40. The knurling and threads are cleaned with a soft brass brush and WD-40 or CRC electronics cleaner. I always re-lube and replace bearing balls as needed.
    Two of the Stanley 2101a braces had grease that was crystallized like rock candy! Those two I bought cheap ($20) because the owners thought they were broken as they did not ratchet. Otherwise they looked like they sat in a drawer for 40 years.
    The only brace that did not need any cleaning is the Millers Falls No. 5010 Parsons Brace. I love the Permaloid on that one. As a side note the Bluegrass brace next to the 5010 has blue Permaloid too.
    The oldest brace there is the Millers Falls Rose No. 2. It was made circa 1868 - 1872 and it still works perfectly.

Regards,

Phil

I enjoy restoring braces and hand drills. They really aren't hard to take apart. Attached are a few of my braces and a pic of a MF 10 inch taken apart. The hardest part is taking the pins out of the ratchet. They aren't necessarily hard, but take a little more force than you think. Some are also tapered, so you have to take them out the "right" way. Use a punch about the same size as the pin and you can't go wrong.

I use the 6" braces the most. I keep a few with various things chucked and ready. I have a Yankee 12" I use for most other tasks.

0503200936.jpg 0221201548.jpg

I have several braces, and these date from about 20 years ago when using old tools only was an interest. They do still get used, but really only the 12" MF and 10" Bells find occasional use these days. Sometimes the 5" with a chamfer bit.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I have about 50 braces in my "collection". I've seen pictures of some collections of 1500. Currently selling some on the bay. Will end up getting rid of most. I have four braces in my tool cabinet. Two simpler ones with no ratchets (lighter weight) and two Miller Falls permaloids. Occasionally I will use a 14" PS&W. I find a tee handle ratchet handle works best for the larger bits. Like an expansive bit boring a 5" hole. As for bits I like the Ford single twist, spoon and Forstners.
    Ok, here are a few pictures of my braces. The first picture are of the ones I use the most and are on my tool cabinet. The next picture is the main part of the collection. Confession: I am fascinated with all the different designs for chuck, ratchets, etc. The next picture is overflow in another room. Finally, what good are braces unless you have bits? So there are boxes of bits, some braces in sets and few other tools. The bits range from centre bits, Forstners, Single twist, double twist, solid center. There are also gasket cutters, wrench bits, reamers, screwdrivers, and a bunch more. Probably over 1000 bits. I think thats enought.

Braces 1.jpgBraces 2.jpgBraces 3.jpgBraces 4.jpg