Thread: Getting rid of sharp nubs on hardware cloth

Getting rid of sharp nubs on hardware cloth

Is there a way to cut hardware cloth (wire mesh) so that there are no sharp nubs of wire left on the cut edge - or a quick way to remove the nubs after cutting? It's possible to grind them off with a rotary tool, but this is time consuming.

Blog Entries
    If you are working with 1/2 inch you can cut to leave 7/16 inch of wire sticking out, then fold that over. I sometimes fold a hem in the sheet metal brake. I might try clamping the edge between two pieces of thin material and filling or belt sanding. Those sharp ends are annoying and can be painful.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I have installed a few dozen rolls of hardware cloth at a local Boy Scout camp. I have used three or four different methods of cutting over the years and they all leave a sharp edge. I have never had to worry about the sharp edges as the edges are always covered in my applications.

Blog Entries
    It was was a Scout Leader in our Troop who taught me that the first thing one should do with any recently cut wire is to "fold it over on itself so you do not poke your eye out". I sure miss him.
    Best Regards, Maurice