Thread: Replacing temp sensor on this pellet stove

Replacing temp sensor on this pellet stove

I just got this used Englander 25-PDV (or very similar) pellet stove and it worked when I picked it up and now not so much. The owner said it needed some kind of 'high or low' (he didn't know) temp sensor/switch replaced. It worked at least one time really well after I got it home so I know most everything is working in it. Now when I start the fire and hit the On button, the auger starts turning but the exhaust fan never kicks on to stoke the flame. The one time it worked well the fans didn't kick on until maybe 5 minutes after I started the fire and hit the On button. This last time I kept a fire in it for over 45 min and the fans never kicked on, although the auger kept turning the whole time, which it's supposed to.

Any idea what I need to replace in this stove to get it running again? I'm hoping the part's still made. I can't get a shot of the info plate on it just right now but I believe it was made in '97. You don't see the dial settings on any of the used ones listed on marketplace or elsewhere.

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Short answer is, I don't know. However, various heating temperature appliances such as my gas fireplace insert use Klixon type switches. The heat up and then click on. Your stove may or may not use this method. Here is a site showing some pictures of them - the only reason I mention this site is that they have the picture.
    https://www.sensata.com/products/temperature/7bt2
    I would say a delay before the fan turns on is normal since the switch has to get heated up but 45 minutes is excessive if the stove was good and hot.
    You could have a flakey motor speed controller but I'd say the thermal sensor is more likely the problem. If it is a Klixon style switch and you can get at it, you could carefully short it with a piece of wire and see if that turns the fan on. Be careful, there may well be 120V line voltage on it!
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 11-19-2023 at 6:06 PM.

I think Bill is correct a snap action thermo switch. I would guess 100-200 degrees turns it on. Probably not directly in contact with the firebox or it would get too hot. I used an adjustable thermostat to add fans to my wood stove. Takes about 30 minutes from starting the fire until enough heat soaks through the fire brick and steel plate to reach the thermostat.
    Bill D
    Bill D

Like this one. I do not understand the extra sheet metal bracket part pop riveted to the switch. It says on at 120 off at 90 F.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Hongso-Magnet...00Q9X1GGY?th=1
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-20-2023 at 7:18 PM.

According to the description it has a "strong magnet" for mounting and on the non-switch mounted side picture there is a big round black blob which likely is the magnet.

So you need the correct switch…. get the parts list or call the Manufacture to get the right one, please do not guess.

So is it the blower that distributes warm air around the room or the one that stokes the flame as was posted? Yes “stoke the flame” as posted above which would make it for combustion air.

I also see the blower has a on off and speed control, not the fan for combustion air.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-20-2023 at 8:05 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Manufacturer parts list here. https://www.englander-stoves.com/us/...anuals/25-pdv/ Looks like it has an electronic control board as well. As Bill George said reach out to the company and get the correct parts.

Hmm I just see a sensor and control board no Klixon perhaps its all controlled by the Out of Stock control board or sensor. Yes there are two blowers combustion air and warm air blower.... so what not working, all?
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-21-2023 at 8:08 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

It could be the temperature sensor, but it could also be the vacuum sensor is flaky, or the vacuum line is plugged.