Thread: Sorby chuck

Sorby chuck

I have a Sorby chuck 7/8 14 tpi my lathe spindle size is 1 inch 8tpi does anyone have an adapter like this. I can’t seem to find one Thanks Ken

Possibly not your best bet but Best Wood Tools can make you one. Everything I'm seeing adapts from 7/8 x 14 machine spindle to 1 x 8 (or other) accessory.

custom adapters link
    RD

Thanks I ask about that they want $69 I’m from Canada so with exchange and shipping it would be around $125 hoping for something cheaper

My chuck is 7/8 14 tpi could I tap that to 1 inch 8 tpi do you think that would be possible. Thanks Ken

I think that it might be possible, assuming that the chuck has enough "meat" at the threaded end . I googled the 1 x 8 tap drill size and they recommended a 7/8" drill. But I wouldn't recommend drilling that size without a drill press and a vice to hold the chuck. Also, you'll have to buy a tap and tap holder. Plus you'll need to know the "best practices" for drilling and tapping. If you've never done it before, talk to someone with machining experience or have them do it for you.

Thanks Brice I’m going to try that it seams to be my best option. If it works great there is a shop not far from me that can do that.

I hope from your last comment, Ken, you are going to take it to a shop. They will know if it is feasible and they (hopefully) will get the threads true. Even though the registration of the chuck is not from the threads themselves but the shoulder that butts a shoulder on your spindle typically, if they are out you will have chuck wobble and that wobble will translate into serious wobble at the outer diameter of a larger bowl.

Is it possible to simply buy the appropriate chuck adapter from Sorby? Their website shows a 1" UNC adapter for the Patriot chuck.

Unfortunately, he doesn't say what model his chuck is and I got the impression it was a fixed-thread model but....

Found this one for $25 Canadian. Oops, it adapts wrong direction in
    https://www.amazon.ca/Faceplate-Adap.../dp/B08BJD69LD

James
    Last edited by James Ley; 11-21-2023 at 12:00 PM.

Is the OP sure his chuck is not an adapter style?
    I guess I've never seen a direct thread 7/8-14 before

I bought this used I believe sorby cut it to 7/8 at customers request it’s a precision combination chuck # 900 very old. Anyway I took it to a shop today and he made it to fit my 1 inch spindle. Happy with the job Thank for all the help. Ken

I agree with Bill Howett to take the chuck to a machine shop.