Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What machine do you enjoy using most?

My shop built idiosyncratic cnc machine has likely made the difference between me continuing to make a living making small wood items, and having to have found other work, which in my 60's after 40 years of the former, would have been a real drag. It's also kept woodworking fun and new.

When I get it right, it's like a flawless, complaint-less employee (though a poor conversationalist) that does the hardest manual part of a complex job, freeing me to simultaneously do more fun stuff, like design new items, figure out new and better ways to make them more cleanly and quickly, resaw nearly finished items off backer strips 7 at a time, and dip them into a vat of finish to see the grains and colors explode. It turns me into a one-man band.

IMG_1684.jpg.IMG_1705.jpg

The wood lathe is my favorite machine - especially roughing out green wood (burls) and revealing the grain and inclusions.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Blog Entries
    I'd say my Unisaw. Bought it around 2000. It's a 3 HP, with a 52" Beisemeyer fence. I like it very much.

2nd would be my Hatachi sliding miter saw with Beismeyer tables. a 6' on the left and 3' on the right. Great support for the work and a very good stop on it.

PHM