Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What machine do you enjoy using most?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    does my pallet jack count? brings out the kid in me
    Probably not, I’ve never seen one with fingers or toes😎

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    While they are not what I would call one of my favorite tools, my jigsaw and bandsaw rank near the top of the list of enjoyable tools to use. I can't really describe why but I just get a kick out of using both.

If I had to choose a reciprocating saw, it would be a Sawzall.

Nothing converts a perfectly good object into something that looks like a mentally deranged beaver with a wood chipper passed through the shop.

Regards, Rod.

Late 30s/early 40s Delta 1200 scroll saw. Great American iron. No other power tool brings out the creativity in me like it does.

Table saw and drill press are the tools that I like the most for the consistent jobs they do.

1970s stanley #5 -- with cambered blade and mouth opened to act as a scrub is a tool that makes me giggle and feel like I'm getting away with something. (it shouldn't be good, but is pretty light and very effective at getting big surfaces flattened out)

And milling logs with an MM16 is the tool that lies in the guilty pleasure side of things -- not something I do too often, but satisfying.

i love my CNC, but the Martin shaper is the clear winner.

The one that I am using, at the time you ask. Love em all, the long the short and the tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Thank you.
    Impressive.... will have to think about borrowing some of your ideas .
    PM me if you’d like some close-ups of any caddies.

The op asked what machine so that means one machine not two or three. Nor does it include hand tools.
    I vote that the moderators remove all post that are straying and posters be stripped from a titles duties and assignments or committees.
    Everyone that followed the op’s question get extra rations and free time.
    Good Luck
    Aj

No question, my bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Coffee machine.

My thought as well...

I am planning ahead to downsizing, and I think the last tool to go will be my lathe. It's the one tool with which you can go from raw material to finished product all in one place.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I enjoy my bandsaw (but dislike the time it takes to set up blades and wish there was a faster way to switch em). I think the greatest joy is completing a good resaw.

I do love the jointer and planer too. It's just a joy to see sows' ears coming out silk purses.

Jointer planer is just labor to make things flat.
    tablesaw/miter saw just cuts straight planes.
    Bandsaw I havent relied on this too much therefore my setup skills are lacking on it.
    I like the CNC but i havent adapted myself to using it for shop functions I still use it for 3d carves/Vcarves/Juice grooves.
    Router table can do more for me, turning square things into much closer to finished products

AS far as smaller tools (non Machines) I love Nailers. They are so satisfying, and none of them in particular

OP here ... When raising the question "what machines do you enjoy using most?" I wasn't prepared to find that some would suggest bandsaws, shapers (yikes!), CNCs, etc. I really thought the lathe would be the hands down favorite because of its Zen-like attraction. But I do respect this audience so I may go out and hug my bandsaw, table saw and few others today to get more in touch with them. I may even consider cheating and purchase a CNC. However, I sold my shaper because it scared the living daylights out of me.

I think you’ll find that CNC really isn’t “cheating” It’s just another tool and every owner will tell you it doesn’t produce finished work; just components like the other tools. I actually use my hand tools more now with the CNC in the shop!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...