Thread: Old stanley no. 5 - Frog sits crooked. looking for help

Old stanley no. 5 - Frog sits crooked. looking for help

Not fully assembled but trying to show what the skew looks like in this pic-

IMG_2935.jpg

I bought this on ebay to try and clean up/sharpen and give to my brother as a xmas gift. I believe it is a type 19, first time venturing into the vintage hand-plane world (or any hand plane). It looks to be in pretty good shape but the frog sits on the base at a slight skew. I can correct it with the lateral adjuster if I crank it all the way to one side (not ideal). I think its related to this piece in the picture that the arrow is pointing to. I took everything apart to clean it up and when reassembling I forgot to add the collared screw that this plate sits in, leaving it free. I was able to square up the frog visually and it looked much better. Upon realizing i missed that screw I reassembled with the screw and this plate seated down onto it, again causing the frog to twist at the same skew.

IMG_2933B.jpg

Can this be fixed somehow?

I'm not sure the following will solve the problem, but it's an easy try. Flip the slotted plan around, onto its 'back' side. That may work, and maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Line View Post
    I'm not sure the following will solve the problem, but it's an easy try. Flip the slotted plan around, onto its 'back' side. That may work, and maybe not.
    I agree with Richard. The notch the frog has, goes over a lug sticking up from the plane. This is a pivot point. The plate needs to be square or a skew like you are seeing will result. If flipping the plate doesn't work, leave the screw loose and see if you can rotate the frog in either direction. You might be able to rotate it square and then tighten the screws. For now, just put the frog so that the blade just touches the planes mouth.

Also, check that the frog adjustment screw isn't cross threaded as that would cause it to skew too.

Also, make sure the plate is in the notch in the screw and not riding on the threads. I don't think that would make a huge difference unless you have it sitting over the threads and clamping that screw down thinking it holds the frog in place

I found the same error on a brand new Stanley Bailey, type today, the ones that are in production now.

If installing the frog adjustment plate forces it to be skewed, just leave it out. They're not needed and once you set the plane up, there's no good reason to move the frog.

Rafael

Blog Entries
    Justin, welcome to the Creek.

On older types of Stanley/Bailey planes the frog adjustment plate could pivot a little with the screw loosened. If yours is too close up against the casting to swivel you might try creating some space by filing the casting, the plate or both.

Some frogs also are easy to file at the front to allow it a bit more adjustment.

I was going to send you a private message to offer a replacement frog to see if that might help. Since you are a member and not a contributor you do not have access to SMC mail.

To me the $6 annual contribution is one of the best things I get all year for $6.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by justin bourne View Post
    Not fully assembled but trying to show what the skew looks like in this pic-

IMG_2935.jpg

I bought this on ebay to try and clean up/sharpen and give to my brother as a xmas gift. I believe it is a type 19, first time venturing into the vintage hand-plane world (or any hand plane). It looks to be in pretty good shape but the frog sits on the base at a slight skew. I can correct it with the lateral adjuster if I crank it all the way to one side (not ideal). I think its related to this piece in the picture that the arrow is pointing to. I took everything apart to clean it up and when reassembling I forgot to add the collared screw that this plate sits in, leaving it free. I was able to square up the frog visually and it looked much better. Upon realizing i missed that screw I reassembled with the screw and this plate seated down onto it, again causing the frog to twist at the same skew.

IMG_2933B.jpg

Can this be fixed somehow?
    Call it a sunk cost, harvest it for parts, and buy one that isn't flawed. At any given point in time, there must be hundreds for sale by old tool dealers, on EBay, etc. Stanley tools were (are) mass manufactured. Defects that made it through quality control happened. Live with this fact and move on.

What? Did you forget the usual Sales Ad from Veritas?

Anyway.......

Look closer at the area where the frog meets the mouth ......right side of the frog had been worn/ground away....You CAN grind/sand/file the left edge to match the right, and clean both up...Be careful, though...too much will mean you will need to lower the 2 pads the frog sits on....

Previous owner's fault, NOT Stanley.......in the search for the perfectly flat face of the frog...someone had damaged to right side...best guess? Someone had flattened the face of that frog, without a clue as how to do it..It MIGHT be flat, but they had too much pressure on that side....

4 Stanley Jacks, front view.JPG
    As the owner of 4 Stanley No. 5s.....I just might know a thing or two...( also have the same amount in Millers Falls)
    June Project, Lid work, flatten and Joint .JPG
    Seems to work just fine for me...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Photos?

Of course...
    Froggy's, frog adjusters.JPG
    One of these?
    Froggy's , face time.JPG
    Note where these meet up with the mouth of the plane...
    Froggy's, T-15 and T-19.JPG
    T-15 vs T-19?
    Froggy's, Busy bench.JPG
    Both feel right at home on a busy bench....if not?
    Froggy's, awaiting their turn.JPG
    More are awaiting their turns..

So...you even up the ends of the frog to where they match each other....take a flat mill file the proper width and level the 2 pads the frog rests on( make sure the pads are LEVEL to the base casting, and not tilted one way or another)..to account for the "lost" material under the Frog's feet...frog bolts may need a washer added, in case they bottom out.

Install: one bolt is started, kept a slight bit loose....then the second bolt...look down at the frog's feet...they SHOULD be even at the ramp on the back of the mouth...adjust until they are, then tighten the bolts...

Frog Adjust bolt & plate: Make sure someone had NOT crimped the slot down for a tighter "fit" onto the threads, and NOT the slot ( have seen a few like that come through the Rehab Shop)

Place the sharpened iron, well mated Chipbreaker back into the plane...then add the lever cap and take the plane for a test drive.....

(Note: Check the edge of the iron, it needs to be square to the sides of the iron...otherwise....it will cause the plane to ACT like a skew plane...)

If the OP is dead set on using a Stanley No. 5.....I do have a spare T-19, fully set up and ready for use...that I can send to whatever Mailing Address the Op has....on my dime. Paying Forward.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-22-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use