Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Friday?

I found Santa's own pallet of sGRN Doug Fir 8 foot 4x6 at a home store today. I pulled 5 keepers out of 30 on the rack. I should buy a lotto ticket, finding 2 good ones on the rack at a home store is a terrific day in my book. I do need 5 more of the same to have all the parts for my next bench build; but I am well and truly in the holiday spirit this evening.

My planned next bench will be 7 of DF 4x6x96 face glued for a finished slab at 5x24x hopefully 93 inch length. Finished slab should be around 200# with no legs or stretchers. Hoping for an all pink heartwood top surface, I am man enough to have a pink workbench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Makita sales this year are pathetic and the same ole sale as last year. Lowes has some decent sales on jorgenson clamps.

I can't vouch for the quality, but picked up a pair of carbide 10" saw blades at Home Depot for $25. For me these will be used for the questionable wood cuts and I'll consider them throw away. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-P...60PP/203560978

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have the Ortur LM3 A d having fun with it. I have cut 1/8 BB with it and made the ornament with it. I also built an enclosure for it with inline fan.
    I planned a Christmas present for someone so I "needed" it. I am going to Vcarve a family tree with the family name but the person has 6 kids, 6 SO's, and 11GKs and counting. I Purchased 50 key chains with blank round discs I can put there names on and hang on hooks. Thats the loose plan anyway. But I think the Laser was necessary to complete it

Does the laser put off strong odors?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I can't vouch for the quality, but picked up a pair of carbide 10" saw blades at Home Depot for $25. For me these will be used for the questionable wood cuts and I'll consider them throw away. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-P...60PP/203560978
    Maybe stand a bit to the side when using them in case the Carbide doesn't want to stay put. You cant beet that price. Hopefully it leaves a decent cut

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I planned a Christmas present for someone so I "needed" it. I am going to Vcarve a family tree with the family name but the person has 6 kids, 6 SO's, and 11GKs and counting. I Purchased 50 key chains with blank round discs I can put there names on and hang on hooks. Thats the loose plan anyway. But I think the Laser was necessary to complete it

Does the laser put off strong odors?
    Onefinity just announced a 44w laser today. Probably not going to ship in any real numbers until after Christmas but it's powerful enough to do things like engrave stone. I could be tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Maybe stand a bit to the side when using them in case the Carbide doesn't want to stay put. You cant beet that price. Hopefully it leaves a decent cut
    Those blades appear to be the Avanti Pro - a pretty decent blade.
    They are made by Bosch in a Chinese Bosch factory - according to a poster here a decade ago.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Onefinity just announced a 44w laser today. Probably not going to ship in any real numbers until after Christmas but it's powerful enough to do things like engrave stone. I could be tempted.
    $1500 I shyed away from their other lasers due to the price point. Combined with that my onefinity is on the wall making things more dificult

Think carefully about putting a laser engraver on your CNC, especially a higher wattage unit. It's really difficult to deal with toxic fumes, unlike with a ventilated dedicated laser system. While the comparison cost makes the add ons look very attractive, shop air heath has to be considered.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...