Thread: Disaster in the shop... averted!

Disaster in the shop... averted!

My grad-student daughter is here for the week, and we spent hours in the shop building a couple of tray-like containers for some keyboards she's designing for her Masters in Mechanical Engineering thesis. The frames were jointed, planed, cut, mitered, and glued, and we had a dado set in the table saw to cut the rabbets in the bottoms. She hit the switch, the blade turned a bit, and then stopped. Another press on the switch, same thing.

Table saw completely dead! Put a voltmeter on the line: OK. Disassembled the switch housing, and voltmeter says there's nothing going to the motor.

This was Wednesday night and she has to leave on Friday! Stores closed today!

Then I looked at the jointer. Both Grizzly, and the switches looked similar. Took the jointer switch out of its housing, and it was absolutely identical to the table saw switch. She swapped them (all jointer operations completed by this time), got the table saw running, and cut the rabbets.

As we go around the table later today and it's my turn to say what I'm thankful for, I'll say this: "I'm thankful that Grizzly uses the same switch on jointers and table saws." Leaving our guests to figure out what the heck I'm talking about.

mostly every machine I have has a different switch. Working on one job a switch went down. My fault I wired it wrong and the manufactured phase was on a coil. I had a deadline so to finish the job I used a piece of wood taped to the part that pushes in and stays in when running. It worked fine, not ideal but work had to get done.

For emergencies, you can just wire around the switch and use the plug to activate the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    For emergencies, you can just wire around the switch and use the plug to activate the motor.
    That was coming next. Table saw would have voice control: "Dad, plug it in."

Does the switch house a capacitor? Might be the issue..
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Rochkind View Post
    That was coming next. Table saw would have voice control: "Dad, plug it in."

Yes it seems like Grizzly does tend to use a few common switches. Useful for maintainability down the road.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-24-2023 at 10:20 AM.

UPDATE: Daughter's project completed; she is back at school; new switch arrived today. As Curt noted, very common and available from Amazon.