Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RT Kickback-what did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    whats an SF? Why dont we just switch to Emojis then ill understand even less

Do they have an emojie for Kickback, a hand handing money to someone else?
    I think this is the emogie for kickback

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Oh, I thought it was Russian TV, maybe in the spirit of good communication we should use less SF's .
    I thought the OP’s (original poster) context was obvious. Notwithstanding the fact I wouldn’t have used such an abbreviation.

Really getting off the original topic here but I've always thought the longest path from start to finish in a project was to take shortcuts. Maybe the same can be said of communication, the more short forms you use, the less likely everyone reading will understand what you are trying to say. I really hate it when someone posts a problem with a machine, looking for help and only describes it by a model number only. Many may recognize which manufacturer and machine he is referring to but many, including myself may be left wondering. Assuming everyone will immediately recognize a Grizzly, Festool or Sawstop model number is lazy, in my humble opinion again apologies to the OP (original poster) hope you understand what probably happened and how to avoid it in the future.

Could it have been a build up of chips/dust in the dado that allowed the off side of the bit to get enough friction on "wrong" side of the dado to pull it forward (to the left)? Maybe once it got going a little bit the board pulled away and the "wrong" side directly engaged the bit to accelerate it even more? Would a straight bit be more prone to this than a spiral bit--straight cutting edge acting as a scoop to collect and concentrate the debris? Were you using dust collection, and was there debris shooting out either end of the dado while cutting?

Matt

Glad you are okay.

The suggestion to review the workpiece is a good one.

The piece coming off the fence sounds most likely.
    Any chance a rising bit working its way out of the collet could cause this, too?

Matt