Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RT Kickback-what did I do wrong?

A full 3/4" is a lot of stock to remove, even for a 16th. Yeah, a feather board to hold the stock against the fence horizontally and another on top to keep the stock against the table. I'm not sure what "Jessem stock guides" are, but if they are these: https://www.amazon.com/JESSEM-Clear-...1BL9ZXZVA&th=1 then the guides seem to do a great job at holding the work against the table, but not against the fence. You would need to add something horizontally.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    A full 3/4" is a lot of stock to remove, even for a 16th. Yeah, a feather board to hold the stock against the fence horizontally and another on top to keep the stock against the table. I'm not sure what "Jessem stock guides" are, but if they are these: https://www.amazon.com/JESSEM-Clear-...1BL9ZXZVA&th=1 then the guides seem to do a great job at holding the work against the table, but not against the fence. You would need to add something horizontally.
    But it says it holds it down against the table and against the fence: Unique roller system holds down workpiece and pushes into fence for precision stock feed
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Piece size

Too large a cut, no featherboard so the piece wobbled under the pressure and tiny piece with little mass to resist the cutting force. Little pieces tend to fly easier. How about putting the dado into the full width board before ripping and doing that iteratively. More mass and easier to hold and control. When board starts getting too narrow towards the size you just tried, switch to a new full size board.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    But it says it holds it down against the table and against the fence: Unique roller system holds down workpiece and pushes into fence for precision stock feed
    Yea, but the lateral push to the fence is just friction from the wheels being turned slightly to the fence. It’s not enough to cope with a catch in some cases. The primary benefit is to help with consistent hand feeding.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, but the lateral push to the fence is just friction from the wheels being turned slightly to the fence. It’s not enough to cope with a catch in some cases. The primary benefit is to help with consistent hand feeding.
    Oh. ...................
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I can only see this happening if you initially moved the fence backwards to make the cut deeper and then moved it forward to clean up the 'back of the groove. In which case you're engaging the cutter in the direction its spinning and that is a climb cut. I've seen people do them with power feeders but I would never consider trying by hand.

Yep, from the picture I do not see how it pushes the stock against the fence. It might do so ever so slightly but not like a feather board would.

P.S. I generally do dados with a table saw. Much safer. You can take full width cuts, and if you're paranoid about safety like me, raise the blade up incrementally without moving the fence.
    Regards,

Tom

From what I can understand from the previous posts, the OP was cutting a dado length wise in a board.

What could cause the board to suddenly be projected away from the operator? There must have been more force imparted in the forward direction than the reverse.

If the stock moved away from the fence, the reverse force would be less than the forward force, all things considered. So the stock would tend to be forced forward.

I think it gets down to the stock not being held securely against the fence.

Seems like there are two worst case options. The stock goes forward or backwards. But the fence prevents excessive cutting that would result in a backward projectile.

Just my uneducated view of what may have happened....
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

bunch of people guessing at poor info on what was done, Makes no sense at least to me. Ive climb cut hand held from the start and will continue. It always depends on what you are doing and your feel and understanding.

OP feeding material into a cutter and it goes shooting? The gizmo shown says it has 5 degree tilt to the fence so its keeping pressure that way. There is person feeding material that is all that is needed the person pushes the material to the fence as they feed forward. A few scrap feather boards that keep the material down tight help even an experienced person. I decide if I use feather boards more by how many pieces.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    The key to this mystery is going to be solved when a picture of the actual work piece is posted and bite marks can be reviewed.
    There is no real evidence of which direction the OP made the last cut attempt
    There is no real evidence there was any energy holding the work against the fence
    There is no real evidence indicating where the bit grabbed. Was it on the side of the work that was intended to be the cut or was it on the side of the original cut and the work piece was able to move forward toward the operator
    Here may be the key statement by the OP On the last pass, the bit immediately pulled the stock past the bit and shot out the other side.
    The other side to me this means the side opposite to the side the OP was attempting to feed the work.
    That then is most likely a climb cut as the 12:00 of the bit grabbed the previously cut dado BECAUSE the work piece came off the fence toward the front of the table grabbing the earlier cut dado wall and the bit immediately pulled the stock past the bit and shot out the other side.
    Need a picture of the actual board with indications of the feed direction. It should all come pretty clear from there.
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

I think if you read all the posts including the ones by the OP answering questions, it is pretty clear what happened. On the last pass the workpiece moved away from the fence and the bit engaged with the side of the dado closest to the fence making it a climb cut. The stock guides are designed to hold the stock down and against the fence but it appears they did not do their job. Nothing was restraining the stock from moving right to left so when the climb cut happened the workpiece was thrown right to left. It is perhaps not the right application for stock guides, they are intended more for sheet goods where featherboards are not practical, in this case with a narrow workpiece, featherboards would have been a better choice.

RT?
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    RT?
    Bill D.
    Router Table

Oh, I thought it was Russian TV, maybe in the spirit of good communication we should use less SF's .

whats an SF? Why dont we just switch to Emojis then ill understand even less

Do they have an emojie for Kickback, a hand handing money to someone else?