Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eucalyptus HF

Eucalyptus HF

This is my one year anniversary of turning, turning.

I don't have pics from the beginning, but is from a 3.5"x 10"x10" block that I got in trade for some walnut to Brad Schmid... Thanks Brad.

The HF ended up 3.25" x 9.25". The collar is ebonized(india ink... thanks Carole and Jim B) cherry. It's finished with lacquer and buffed.

Even though I got this in trade, it was bought wood and that brought on some pressure to not really screw it up too bad. Especially since Brad said he wanted to see what I did with it.

I ran into some complications and I'll explain for those who might want to know.

When I turned the outside, I wanted to make sure it had no flat places, so I took the blade of my square and starting in the center, rolled the edge of it from top to bottom. I found one place about 3/8" wide and took it out. The flat place wasn't really visible, but I could tell it was gone when I finished. The straight edge worked really good for me.

Now, the finish. I did ink the cherry before I glued it on, but I should have finished both before I glued them together. I put 4 coats on and everything was well until I decide to "wipe on wipe off" the next coat... wrong. I had waited two days but as soon as I put the brush on lacquer on there, it all gummed up. I grabbed the thinner and got it off and with one accidental swipe across the collar, the black ink was gone . I had to wipe everything down to almost bare wood again, mask off the collar for another ink job ( not easy ), and refinish. Oh yea... I don't know why, but I didn't think to raise the grain on the collar before I inked it .

Anyway, here it is and of course critiques are welcome.

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finest Kind!
    Only the Blue Roads

Ernie that is beautiful. Nice work. I hope I am doing that well after one year.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Awesome bud! Nice finish and form!
    Great looking HF
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Great balance and workmanship -----just perfect
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Excellent piece Ernie. Great report. May I ask, why not use a spray lacquer, if that is your choice of finish?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Super Ernie. Outstanding job with the form, finish and collar!

Excellent job, Ernie!!! I'm not a fan of tall feet but this one seems to work. You have discovered how to use ink to ebonize a collar...finish it separate from the form! LOL

What critique?? It's gorgeous! Really very nice. I especially like the ebonized collar.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Excellent piece Ernie. Great report. May I ask, why not use a spray lacquer, if that is your choice of finish?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Bill, I used the spray this time because of the ink on the collar, but I don't particularly care for the spray in that it can leave little dimples at the pores. When I use the brush on, I flood the surface, wait a minute, wipe it off, and burnish with a paper towell. I do this for 5 or 6 coats and it doesn't gum up and it's much smoother with no dimples.

Ernie

That's a beautiful Hollow Form. Shape, wood, and collar all compliment each other and a beautiful finish. I have a question, when hollowing a form in that low flat shape, what type tool do you use and how thin and consistent are you able to get the walls?

OK Ernie thanks, I guess I just do it the way I was taught. Spray and sand, one day I may try the brush on and wipe off, just thought I would gum it up. I will give it a try on some scrap piece.

Just set in my old ways I guess.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

13. Ernie, that is fantastic! I love everything about it!

Thanks for the pictures, and happy anniversary!

Beautiful Ernie! You did a fine job with that. I really like the collar. I've been waiting to see what you'd do with it That's a great way to celebrate year #1, and start year #2!

BTW - thanks again for the wood. I have it all cut sealed and stored in the shop just waiting for time to start roughing it out

Great job. Those kind of disks are tough hollowing! You did a fine, fine job. Can't wait to see you 2 year anniversary piece.
    Earl