Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a cordless miter saw

Talk me out of a cordless miter saw

There's a cordless Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw on Marketplace for sale.
    The seller is asking $500 for it without a battery or charger.

It's the newer 36V (2X18V) type, not the older 18V one.

I think I can do better than $500 on it.

I have a 10" DeWalt CMS right now - 120V non-slider.

This would be for shop use and not for any job site work.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Maybe I'm missing something but if you're going to have it setup in the shop, it sounds like you're just adding cost/headache for having it be battery powered vs plugin.

If you are buying it because you would like a sliding saw, you can do better with your money buying a plug in model. Since you said that you will be using it in your shop, unless you routinely move your mitre saw around in your shop, there are no benefits to a battery model. A major drawback is the crazy costs of batteries and needing more than one so that you are never down waiting for a battery to re-charge.

You did ask.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Yep - I did ask!

I do realize all the drawbacks - -but-- it's cordless!

I do have a decent stock of Makita 18V batteries so that's not an issue. Right now the outlet situation in the garage isn't all that great, but, I'm planning to add more next year & to add a 220V or two outlet. There's a 100amp sub-panel in the garage and it has a lot of room.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I picked up a cordless dewalt at an auction. It is nice when the kids need something at their place. At home it is pretty much in the bull pen behind the radial arm and corded sliding miter. No plans to not have it, if you have the money go for it.

My two cents,
    Chris

By the way, i just added a new forrest blade to it, a good blade makes a world of difference!

I have both the 10" and 12" cordless Makitas in the shop. Great saws, maybe the most accurate SCMS I've ever had! I highly recommend it!
    WoodsShop

I saw a news report yesterday about a Ion batterie on a charger catching fire in a residential garage. it could have burnt the house down if a neighbor did stop it.
    I say no to more cordless batteries your family will be safer and Mother Nature will thank you for not adding to the green energy trash wave that coming.
    Good Luck
    Aj

This would be for shop use and not for any job site work.
    You answered your question. Batteries will wear out before the tool wears out especially from high demand tools. This will get expensive and batteries could become obsolete. I have a Makita corded saw and it’s been very good and I’ve had it for probably 15 years. Battery technology has certainly changed but if you don’t have a specific need for cordless I’d advise avoiding it with the exception of drills and impact drivers.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Hard no for me if it’s never leaving the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I do have a decent stock of Makita 18V batteries so that's not an issue.
    If that's the case, I'd look at the price of a saw vs a similar quality corded one. If the cost is the same, I'd get cordless. If the corded is cheaper, I'd go corded. The new brushless motors in cordless tools are nice, but they sure are spendy.

If you're expecting a straight cut from that saw, you'll be disappointed. For a shop-only saw that needs straight cutting, there's much better options.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    If you're expecting a straight cut from that saw, you'll be disappointed. For a shop-only saw that needs straight cutting, there's much better options.
    absolute rubbish..................I have one and it cuts as straight as my Festool, DeWalt, and a couple of Craftsman saws (which also cut straight BTW).

It is true that some (many ?) come with slightly msialigned rails and do not cut straight. They can be adjusted though. Whether that's worth your time and the price they're chargin for them is an entirely different discussion.

It seems to me you would be violating the Kiss principal? I have the latest version of the Makita 12" slide, nice saw. Can't remember what I paid but I think it was less than $500?

I have the Makita cordless track saw, and that is a tool that is awesome in cordless. Cuts as well as my TS75 on plywood, uses the Festool tracks and the cordless feature is just handy. Not having a cord catching on everything is nice. But on a chop saw I don't see the advantage.

I have my sliding CMS locked in position most of the time. Batteries would be PITA to me for a non hand held tool.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Well Rich, I do own a Marita 10” mitre saw, it hangs out in the shed and gets used once a year, maybe.

For me, a mitre saw is a waste of space in the shop as I use my format saw instead.

Regards, Rod.