Thread: Extending Dining Table Strength

Extending Dining Table Strength

I have a dining table project in the works and was considering making the table extendable via one leaf. I attached some screenshots as I basing the plan from a Fine Woodworking article. The table base design will be simple with simple tapered legs similar as shown with substantial mortise and tenon joinery. The length of the table closed will be 72” and will extend with one 24” leaf. I like the idea of using drawer slides as the extension slide hardware as shown in the article.

3FFBC517-0CE4-444B-B991-6B5DE0CF0DB7.jpg B3235EB6-58ED-4C04-8BD6-275AEEFA1413.jpg

How strong would this design be? I could add a third slide assembly. Has anyone experience building a table like this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Edit: Link to article here: https://images.finewoodworking.com/a...iningTable.pdf
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 11-26-2023 at 11:24 AM.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

For table extensions I always use Watertown slides from Moin Hardware. They are metal and I’ve never had problems with sagging.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I've built extension tables using sidemount drawer slides. It works just fine. Slides are slides. If you're concerned about strength, use heavy-duty slides intended for file cabinets. Right now, my favorite sidemount slide line is Futaba, available from Hardware Hut. https://hardwarehut.com/cabinet-hard...slides?mfr=305 I've used their 30" 200 pound slides on several projects, and they do exactly what they're supposed to do.

Blog Entries
    The article you show recommends heavy duty drawer slides. You will need slides that will give you at least 25" in the gap between the table ends so the locating pins will clear. With the labor and materials involved, I'm not sure you would save much over a good set of extension table slides. The geared table slides make sure the table doesn't bind as it opens or closes. Your drawer slides may not provide that.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute