Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jorgy Cabinet Master Clamps, new version

Jorgy Cabinet Master Clamps, new version

I've had some of the US made Jorgensen cabinet master clamps (i.e., the ones with the wood handles) for more than a decade and would like to add some more parallel clamps to the kit. Lowe's has them on sale for a very attractive price into early January: $30 for a 24" and $40 for a 48", but these are the new version made in China with the plastic handles (and thinner acme screw?).

I've searched for old threads on the new version here, but didn't find much and no threads comparing the new vs. old. The alternative would be more Dubuque bar clamps as these are about the same price from Lee Valley when bought at four or more at a time.

Anybody have direct experience with the new incarnation and how they compare to the older ones?

Thanks,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

JonathanJungDesign.com

Thanks for that link, Jonathan.

Christopher, my impulse would be to go to the Dubuque clamps. They're a known quantity and have maintained quality and manufacturing without changing anything vs a different ACME thread etc in the Jorgy's you've found.

I have a shop full of Bessey K-Body and Tradesman clamps in all kinds of sizes. As I'd add new clamps, they'd be Dubuque.

Having said that, harryepstein.com always comes up in these posts.
    Howard Rosenberg

I have some newer F style Jorgensen clamps with the plastic handles. The screw is smaller, and they are overall a bit lighter weight than the older ones, but I like them fine.

They are just 6" 'tho, so not used for max clamping pressure.

I have 18 of the new style cabinet masters, all from Lowes over the last year. Never owned parallel prior so cannot compare. The new ones I have work great, no complaints.

I just bought a dozen 24", opens to 25", cabinet masters at Lowes. With Pro discount, $25. Glued up some drawers with them yesterday and they are as good as the Besseys. The Dubuque clamps are not really comparable, they are a different tool for a different job. gluing up drawer boxes would be a pain. The Bessey/Cabinetmasters can be used as a stand after clamping so you can glue up a drawer and stand it up out of the way to cure plus the reach in farther on deep boxes. More versatile.

I did notice the size of the screw being smaller but it does not seem to make a difference. I actually prefer the handles.

Chris, are you referring to these? Bottom row ...

These are 6". They are great. I also have them in 12".

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have mostly Jet(my favorite) and Bessy(old and new). I probably have 8 or 12 of the new Jorgensen from Lowe's. I don't know how they compare to the old version, but I don't have any complaints and would buy them again if I need some and they are on sale.

Thanks all. Larry, I agree agree the Dubuques are a different animal. I have a handful and like them for panels, but also reach for the cabinet masters frequently. Howard, thanks for the haryyepstein.com link, looks like they have the best price I've seen.

Derek, the Cabinet Masters are Jorgy version of a full sized parallel clamp.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Amazon has a cybermonday sale on the Cabinetmasters. 2 packs for a pretty good price. I usually buy Bessy clamps from Rockler simply because they have a 4 pack. The 4 pack has two 24" and two 50" clamps plus the connectors to make them longer. Rockler likes to put the 4 pack on sale for $180.

I have both the wood and plastic-handled clamps and other than that and the shade of orange plastic they're identical. Both acme threads have a 15mm OD. I did get these a good 8 years ago so it's possible that they've changed specs since then. Neither style of clamp have a county of origin on them.

OK, the cabinet Masters have that little spring loaded pin on the end stand so you can reverse the head quickly to use as an inside clamp or a spreader. Has come in handy a couple of times already.

I have the old style with wood handles and "older" new style with plastic handles (maybe 10yo). Both have the same size acme screw - I don't have the newer ones to compare. At that price though, I may pick up a couple of 18 or 24's.

Thanks all. David, interesting that your clamps don't have an origin on them. My wooden handled ones are stamped on the bar with "Made in USA" (whatever that really meant at the time who knows).

I ordered a pair of 24" and will report back when they arrive.
    --Yogi Berra

The new pair of clamps arrived over the weekend. They are very similar to the older ones I have. Besides the handle, the only other differences I could find are that the lower pad cover is no longer held with a screw and the pivot point for the handle is moved down on the lower jaw. The latter seems to help with ease of use and engagement. The thread is the same diameter but looks to be rolled instead of a true acme thread, but I couldn't tell any difference in use.

IMG_7894.jpg

Overall, my heart likes the old ones (wood handle, made in USA) but my hands like the news ones (quick engagement, handle that can crank on without hockey tape)....I'll be buying at least another pair.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra