Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naked table

Naked table

Take a look before the finish makes it ugly. I think if it was mine I would try some orange shellac only.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hatfield
    Take a look before the finish makes it ugly. I think if it was mine I would try some orange shellac only.

Hi Bobby,

Some things look good naked, your table is one of them.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

love the grain. looks great.

b

Hate to show my ignorance Bobby but what wood would that be? I'm the worlds' worst when it comes to determine woods. When I store a piece of wood I have to write its name on the end.
    Really a smart looking table!
    Lynn J. Sonier

Type of wood

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Sonier
    Hate to show my ignorance Bobby but what wood would that be? I'm the worlds' worst when it comes to determine woods. When I store a piece of wood I have to write its name on the end.
    Really a smart looking table!
    Lynn that is southern yellow pine, made for a new country cabin up in the hills on the river for a large local family, I am sure it will be well used, they knew what they wanted from the first. The legs were glued up 2"x6", cut to 4" square and turned, top was ripped 4-1/2" pieces from 2"x material, glued up in large sections, planed to 1-1/4" and glued up to 36" x 84".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hatfield
    Lynn that is southern yellow pine, made for a new country cabin up in the hills on the river for a large local family, I am sure it will be well used, they knew what they wanted from the first. The legs were glued up 2"x6", cut to 4" square and turned, top was ripped 4-1/2" pieces from 2"x material, glued up in large sections, planed to 1-1/4" and glued up to 36" x 84".
    Bobby,

Did you turn those legs? Looks really good and I really like the style of that table. Excellent job!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Turned legs

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Bobby,

Did you turn those legs? Looks really good and I really like the style of that table. Excellent job!!!!
    Thanks Dennis, I turned three and my new friday help turned the other. Did you not see the pic posted by the new Arrowmont graduate and his new day job on fridays ? Tomorrow is make a door day. I think he has been too busy this week to post.

Looks great Bobby! I think that Pine Furniture is way underated. Simple, yet attractive and functional. Country Style Furniture is beautiful to look at, very pleasing to my eye, anyway. I really like the "heft" the legs add to the table. Sure is a nice piece of work............GREAT JOB!

Very nice, Bobby! Yeah, I don't know why some folks really dislike Pine. I framed out and trimmed several of our basement windows with it and it looks really nice. Love the grain AND the legs on your table! I'm sure the new owners will thoroughly enjoy it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Question

Very nice Bobby. But then I never had any doubts. Isn't it amazing how a bull nose or a simple round over makes end grain look good?

I agree with the shellac.

Bob

havn't seen legs look that good since seams in nylons and high heel shoes
    great job
    Mike

That's a beauty, Bobby. Another finish that I think would look slick on it is a waterborne poly. Keeps that 'nudie' look.

Dave

Nice Bobby...real nice.

We have friends that live on one of the older farms here. They have pine floors that have no less than 18 inch wide boards. Everytime I go over I drool all over em...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Arbuckle
    That's a beauty, Bobby. Another finish that I think would look slick on it is a waterborne poly. Keeps that 'nudie' look.

Dave
    I'm with you, Dave...we finish the interiors on log homes around here. The overwhelming wood of choice? SYP. All we use inside is 2-3 coats of Sherwin's Wood Classics WB poly. Great stuff--thick, but it flows, levels, and dries nicely. Works great with an airless sprayer.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Nice work... It was great to see all the previous postings and now the final table. I would like to see the orange shellac finish as well. Oh well... whatever the customer wants is OK with me.