Thread: Epilog says using aftermarket mirrors will destroy the world!!! (Is it true?)

Epilog says using aftermarket mirrors will destroy the world!!! (Is it true?)

Hello,

As title says, after an underwhelming Epilog customer service experience, I'm realizing I will need to source new mirrors for my Fusion Pro 48.

I suppose my cleaning regimen wasn't good enough. Lesson learned.

At the end of the call, I began to ask about aftermarket mirror specifications, and before I could even state my question the guy interrupted, saying in effect that ANY aftermarket mirror would likely cause the laser to catch fire.

His reasoning was that they have their mirrors produced with a "special coating" that was developed for "our particular wavelength" and was unavailable from any other vendor.

I'm not Optics wizard, but this sounds like purest marketing BS to me, since I see people all over this very board talking about buying mirrors online and gluing them into the Epilog holder, and I also see some discussion of people using different types of mirrors as far as materials and coatings. Some silver, some gold, and seem to be interchangeable.

Is there really any reason to use only Epilogue(tm) Brand Patented mirrors coated in Marketonium? Or is that a scare tactic to keep me off of the much cheaper and very likely identical mirrors available elsewhere?

Or put another way, what 25mm mirrors should I use as an OEM-replacement?

Budget is literally no issue here, only my sensibilities, so I can buy theirs if they really are special, but are they? What does Sawmill Creek say? Thanks!

I would check out these people: https://omtechlaser.com/collections/lens-mirrors
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

"our particular wavelength" so thats the one that comes from all the non-epilog manufactured tubes they fit to their machines that everyone else also uses.... I seem to remember epilog having to replace a ton of lenses or mirrors (not sure which now) as their "special coating" was lifting off after a few short hours use. The BS is strong in this employee
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

I'd give American Photonics a call. Good USA produced optics to go in your USA produced laser. American Photonics has some of the best quality stuff around. Give them a call, and he'll poke holes in the Epilog story....

https://americanphotonics.com/
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Blog Entries
    Yep, their mirrors are so good and special that folks have been complaining on FB about them for years....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others