Thread: Slab Flattening

Slab Flattening

Does anyone have a favorite spoil board bit they like?
    I usually start out the Yonico brand until I know I'll use it enough to spring for a Freud or Whiteside but these bits run a wide price range and cutter geometry.
    I know which I'm leaning toward but was looking for some real world experience with these bits.
    Any help is always appreciated

The whiteside goes on sale at woodcraft every couple of months for about 50. This is the one I have and like it

Regardless of the specific brand, I'd definitely recommend a bit which uses insert cutters. Larger upfront investment, but will save you over time if you're going to do it frequently.

I bought an Amana Rc-2251 and have been happy with it.

A few months ago someone posted about the "Slab Slayer", and I've been interested if anyone has follow-up. I've considered it as a future purchase.

https://www.ripprecisiontools.com/pr...ayer-1-2-shank

For less than $30 this one, including an extra set of replaceable cutters, works well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I believe this is the one I have as well. I am happy with it.

i bought slab slayer. used to flatten pine 36 slice of tree and my spoilboard. worked great at both and didn't have depth of cut issues like my amana with inserts on bottom and sides of cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    For less than $30 this one, including an extra set of replaceable cutters, works well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John
    I'm pretty bold when it comes to buying unbranded offshore stuff from Amazon and the like, but router bits still unnerve me. The furthest I'll go is something like SpeTool.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I'm pretty bold when it comes to buying unbranded offshore stuff from Amazon and the like, but router bits still unnerve me. The furthest I'll go is something like SpeTool.
    My go to CNC bits are SpeTool. Great value; never had a problem. So far, the slab flattening bit has worked w/o issue. I rotated the cutters once w/o issue, too.

First, thanks for all the ideas.
    I've been looking at this one, since I like the cutting setup of the inserts.
    https://www.precisionbits.com/insert...ico-51290.html
    I have a few small(ish) slabs to do so it may get some use.
    Slab.jpgimg.jpg
    We'll see how much I like this type of work, I haven't done much live edge/slab type work in many years, before epoxy pour was on every shelf.

Don't worry, I WILL NOT be making a river table

I like the insert style and prefer something that accepts generic inserts, proprietary cutters can get expensive.
    I'm still deciding, not in too much of a rush.

Blog Entries
    Patrick,
    that has really tiny cutting surfaces. I’ve never flattened a slab but I would have thought the cutting surface would be big and convex. We live and learn.

there’s a big dining room table on my todo list. About 30”x6’x 2” thick from oak strips. I’m going to have to flatten it. I can rent time on a big wide belt sander for about $150/hr. But I thought I would just lay the thing on my concrete floor and build a gantry on casters. Then the wife and I could just roll the router around to take off the worst of the high spots.

I went with Spetool for a 2" insert cutter. I also own an Amana 1.25" insert cutter
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...