Thread: Simple Hutch for the Wife

Simple Hutch for the Wife

I apologize in advance for a painted project, I know paint is offensive to many but had to build this at the request of wife.
    She has inherited several pieces of China, silverware and crystal from her mother and grandmother. Requested a lighted hutch to display her pieces. This unit was a compilation of several hutch/cabinet pictures she pulled from the internet. I built a solid cherry top and finished it with several coats of Waterlox. For years I have only used oil-based paint for furniture/cabinet projects. I finally gave in to the Green movement and tried water-based SW Pro Classic Acrylic Alkyd on this project. I was actually pleasantly surprised how well this paint performed. Although it sprayed on a little "thick" with my LVLP gun, it leveled nicely and was nearly impossible to make a run on the vertical pieces. It does have a "harder" finish than other water products I have tried, almost as good as oil based.
    IMG_6674.jpg
    Last edited by julian abram; 11-28-2023 at 9:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    No apologies necessary. That is a beautiful piece. Congrats.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree, very well done. Most folks don't realize how hard it is to get a good paint job on furniture. Unlike a clearcoat, paint shows every little defect. The prep work is much more involved. Runs, sags, ripples; they all show more with paint, too.

Make no apologies.

John

Beautiful piece. But you need to put some grease on that stuck handle on top right !

Julian, that is a gorgeous hutch!

I fail to see anything simple about this hutch! It's beautifully and nicely executed! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    There's nothing wrong with a painted piece if that is what the end user desires. Your Hutch looks very well done and also looks great with the dishware on display.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Zero wrong with paint...it's just another finishing choice so that a piece of furniture fits into the intended placement's decor. Very nice work!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Beautiful piece. But you need to put some grease on that stuck handle on top right !
    Thanks, I had not noticed the stuck handle, wife took the photo. She picked out this Lee Valley hardware made in Italy. I remember the handles being a little "stiff" when I installed them.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I agree, very well done. Most folks don't realize how hard it is to get a good paint job on furniture. Unlike a clearcoat, paint shows every little defect. The prep work is much more involved. Runs, sags, ripples; they all show more with paint, too.

Make no apologies.

John
    Yes, 100% agree. Paint is 90% prep and 10% running the gun. Paint shows every defect whether painting woodwork or a car. In my younger years I use to paint a few cars with DuPont Centari Enamel, a perfect paint job was near unattainable.
    Last edited by julian abram; 11-28-2023 at 9:48 PM.

Nothing wrong with paint. I wouldn’t call it simple either, I would call it Elegant! Great piece of furniture there IMO!

Very nicely done. That is a beautiful piece and the cherry top looks really nice with the painted cabinet.
    Regards,

Kris

Nice work Julian. Really easy on the eye. Thanks for sharing.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    That is a very nice piece, plenty of balance and best of all fitting for the purpose intended.
    As for the paint finish forget it! The the target was identified and the result was bullseye. One last comment.......... never apologize for delivering quality work.
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Very nice!!! I will show this to my wife, she will love it. I"m in the process of new cabinets (white) so I can sympathize with you on obtaining a really nice finish as it shows EVERY defect in workmanship. Very well done, I'd be proud to display that in my house.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.