Thread: standard kerf or thin kerf?

standard kerf or thin kerf?

Hello,
    I have to buy a new blade for my 12" chop saw. I was wondering what you prefer? standard kerf or thin kerf or does it even matter since I'm not using it to rip.
    Thanks, Brent
    ~We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; We borrow it from our children

This seems to come up every so often.

That being said I use a thin kerf on my chop saw because it was all I could find locally and I needed one that day. I have not had any flex problems with it.

I have heard with some compound bevel cuts flex of the blade can be a problem and standard kerf is recommended. If you have the choice of both my vote is standard even though I'm using a thin kerf with no problems.

Joe

i only bought one thin-kerf blade and that was quite a few years ago. i`ll never buy another, nor will i use a saw that has one installed. i don`t like the flex......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Don't like the thin kerf for the same reason. I recommend the forrest chopmaster. Here a link to a good sale on them.http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/index.html

Kerf

I have both thin kerf and regular kerf. Thin kerf doesn't get much use. I just feel better about using a regular kerf blade.

I used to use a thin kerf on my CMS. No longer. I get much better results with the "standard" kerf blade with less wandering/deflection under load.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here, here. Standard kerf only!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Another vote for the standard kerf blade. The only real reason for the thinner kerf is that they will take a little less power due to the narrower cross section. However, your saw should have plenty of power to drive a normal width blade.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I still am using the original blade that came with my 10" Compound Miter Saw, which is a thin kerf (3/32"). When I replace it, it is my intention to go to a full kerf blade. However, it seems that all the blades that I find that are recommended for CMS's and chop saws are at least a little shy of full kerf. This includes the Forrest Chopmaster, which is a 7/64 kerf.

To those of you who use full kerf blades in your Compound Miter Saws and Chopsaws....are you classifiying this as a full kerf?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry White
    I still am using the original blade that came with my 10" Compound Miter Saw, which is a thin kerf (3/32"). When I replace it, it is my intention to go to a full kerf blade. However, it seems that all the blades that I find that are recommended for CMS's and chop saws are at least a little shy of full kerf. This includes the Forrest Chopmaster, which is a 7/64 kerf.

To those of you who use full kerf blades in your Compound Miter Saws and Chopsaws....are you classifiying this as a full kerf?

Thanks
    i`m not, try amana......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I vote standerd kerf, I used a thin kerf on my scms and always had weird accuracy problems. put a standerd width blade and now it cuts angles to the minute.

thin kerfs flex too much IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry White
    I find that are recommended for CMS's and chop saws are at least a little shy of full kerf. This includes the Forrest Chopmaster, which is a 7/64 kerf.
    "Full Kerf" is what it is...one cannot assume it's the same as the table saw blade or "standard" at 1/8". I have noticed a substantial difference in performance since switching to the Chopmaster from the "thin kerf" major brand blade I previously used in the area of stablity...the body of the blade is heavier and thicker. Being 1/64" shy of 1/8" on the carbide is less of a concern in that respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Tod and Jim. Your comments are very helpfull.

Jerry<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by Jerry White; 02-05-2006 at 1:59 PM.