Thread: Drum Sander Paper Keeps Shredding

Drum Sander Paper Keeps Shredding

I have a Grizzly G0458Z drum sander and the paper keeps shredding. I am thinking that the problem is the quality of paper I am buying for it. Any recommendations for a good brand of paper to buy for it? Thanks in advance!

I never had that happen but it could be the paper.
    I use https://www.maverickabrasives.com/ and buy the roll, cut my own.

Something to watch out for - I have a drum sander that requires 5" sandpaper. I bought some big rolls from klingspor that were marketed as 5", but are actually measured in millimeters and aren't exactly 5". Using my original belt to cut the klingspor paper leads to big problems with the paper - overlapping, burning, coming loose, etc. I tried for a while to adjust but it became very frustrating. For me, it is worth buying the pre-cut belts. I am a hobbyist, though.

https://www.klingspor.com/
    I use 3" 100 grit on a supermax 19-38 I use a precut roll as a template and cut 10-20 at a time.
    I had originaly bought a bunch of precut supermax stuff but it went pretty quick and I made the mistake of buying some in higher grits. 80-120 is the sweetspot for me with the drum sander. Then rotex 80/120 RO 120/180/240 for cutting boards anyway

If your paper is burning it is probably overlapping or bunching make sure it is tight to the drum and tentioned. You may be taking too much bite. Does it sound bogged down when you run it?

I have always used Industrial Abrasive. They used to have larger rolls but now sell only 35' rolls which is a bummer. It is cheaper than Klingspor per foot but with the new shorter rolls I don't know how many wraps I will loose.

I found this which is 150 ft (120 grit) for $80.https://www.onlineindustrialsupply.c...0ydcldrs5.html
    And here is 150ft (120 grit) for $55. https://www.supergrit.com/tblproduct...ve_clothx.html
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 12-02-2023 at 1:17 AM.

I have this exact sander and either the chip deflection plate or the pressure plate would get slightly off kilter causing the paper to shred. A simple fix but frustrating shredding new sandpaper

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I have this exact sander and either the chip deflection plate or the pressure plate would get slightly off kilter causing the paper to shred. A simple fix but frustrating shredding new sandpaper
    Chip deflector in a drum sander? That's quite unusual. Sounds like they used the design of a planer and replaced the cutter head with a sanding drum and left all the other planer parts in place. I see Grizzly is getting ready to discontinue that model.

Relatively new to the drum sander Have a supermax 19/38.. Burned one roll and as others have said it was loose and ended up overlapping. As Edward Weber stated I’ve also been buying bulk rolls from maverick Pretty happy with them, but other than the few rolls I bought with the sander, I don’t have experience with any other brand

That is what the parts are called in the manual,

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    That is what the parts are called in the manual,
    I know, I looked it up. That's why I concluded it's a hybrid style machine. There sure aren't any chips when sanding!