Thread: Proper Term For Spirit Level Protective Glass Disks

Proper Term For Spirit Level Protective Glass Disks

Please educate me as to the proper name for the protective glass disks on a classic spirit level. Those who went before me never taught me during my 83 years this information and Dr. Google can’t seem to understand what I want.

I have a very solid 24-inch long classic cast aluminum spirit level made by Mays Bros. Manuf. Co. of Port Austin, Mich. It is missing two of its 1-7/8 inch diameter glass protective disks that appear to have been set using plumber’s putty made from linseed oil and plaster-of-Paris or perhaps plaster alone mixed thick enough to hold its shape.

I will try to add an image. It suggests that the level was made around 1927, so it is almost an antique.

Please educate me as to the part I want so I can try to purchase one.

MaysBrosLevel_120123.jpg

Thanks
    John

Call Mayes Bros in Tenn @ 423-926-6171.

Supposedly they have parts for old stock

I looked up what I thought was the proper name, I got the same results as you.
    Google "watch glass" and or "beaker cover"
    They come in many sizes
    Hope this helps.

I believe the term you are looking for is vial cover.
    Jim

On a dial indicator or watch "crystal". Sight glass may work as well.
    Bill D.

You can cut sheet glass with tin snips. Mark a line with a sharpie and then do it underwater.
    Bill D

My Apologies For the Misspelling

In every instance I wrote below Mays and not Mayes. I apologize. I could not find a way to edit the post I created.

John

My thanks, also to George Yetka for pointing out the successor company in Tennessee. I used the phone number to discover that the website can be accessed here:

https://www.greatnecksaw.com/

Under "measuring" the second entry, "levels" will take you here to see the current offerings.

https://www.greatnecksaw.com/247-measuring-tools/levels

Quote Originally Posted by John Baum View Post
    Please educate me as to the proper name for the protective glass disks on a classic spirit level. Those who went before me never taught me during my 83 years this information and Dr. Google can’t seem to understand what I want.

I have a very solid 24-inch long classic cast aluminum spirit level made by Mays Bros. Manuf. Co. of Port Austin, Mich. It is missing two of its 1-7/8 inch diameter glass protective disks that appear to have been set using plumber’s putty made from linseed oil and plaster-of-Paris or perhaps plaster alone mixed thick enough to hold its shape.

I will try to add an image. It suggests that the level was made around 1927, so it is almost an antique.

Please educate me as to the part I want so I can try to purchase one.

MaysBrosLevel_120123.jpg

Thanks
    John

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    This is a sale for 6 lenses, but they are cheap ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35386873425...d2280539a2c2d5

I have a number of different brands of levels missing those glasses. Some are over 40 years old but still read an accurate level or plumb.

Blog Entries
    YOu can purchase glass discs from McMaster-Carr i 1-3/4" dia x 1/8" thick.

This person will custom cut glass discs Scroll down the page to see the thickness and ordering information
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John Baum View Post

This made me laugh out loud. I hate to be bearer of bad news but your level is an antique.