Thread: RAS & Dust Collection

RAS & Dust Collection

I searched the board and couldn't find what I was after.
    I'm looking for ideas to control my RAS dust. I was thinking about a vented type of fence that I could hook up some vac or dust collector hose to.
    My machine, (new to me, Omga RN 450) has no built in dust shoot of any kind, it goes everywhere.
    Any input is always appreciated

Check out Frank Howarth on Youtube, he did a couple videos on the concept you described.

Thanks, I forgot about him

I recently got done with dust collection for my DeWalt MBF. Posted some pics on SMC at the following link:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ction-complete!

It's based on Frank Howarth's solution to the problem, and I find it works really well.

Thanks Paul, that gives me other options to consider

Frank's solution is probably better in terms of having the best possible airflow through the fence with that latticework of rectangular spaces. However, my method was faster, and doable with just a drill press and handheld jigsaw. It was a case of getting to good enough in a timely manner over getting to perfect...eventually.

With the nature of the tool, there will be dust, you can't capture all of it.
    I've got some ideas and parts floating around, now I just need some shop time.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have lots of half inch mdf scraps. so I ended up trial and erroring on my old Walker turner RAS. Got a large duct that I made as large as I could, and good suction helps. But it still goes everywhere.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Edward, if you don’t mind give us an update with what you come up with. I have a similar saw (rn700) and just have dust collection run to the port on top of the blade guard. Pretty wimpy as you know. I’d like to come up with collection in the table/fence that doesn’t interfere with swiveling to 45’s.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pendery View Post
    Edward, if you don’t mind give us an update with what you come up with. I have a similar saw (rn700) and just have dust collection run to the port on top of the blade guard. Pretty wimpy as you know. I’d like to come up with collection in the table/fence that doesn’t interfere with swiveling to 45’s.
    Will do,
    I'm sure it will be some type a two port solution. A big gulp type of thing behind the blade and some suction ports in the fence/table corner area, where most dust likes to settle.
    I only know a few things about dust collection
    1. get it as close to the source as possible
    2. don't fight gravity
    Everything else is just a difference in plumbing.

Check Ebay as there are currently two Craftsman dust shrouds available. Also, check this from The Original Saw Company Dust Shroud Kit for Radial Arm Saws & Beam Saws | Original Saw

I appreciate the link but is that thing made out of ground up unicorn horns or something?

I have a plastic (big gulp) style collector positioned like the one in the link, it only cost me $20.
    I like the design but some folks are just getting crazy with their prices.