Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic rodent repellent ?

Ultrasonic rodent repellent ?

Seems like I have a mouse problem in the crawl space. We hear chewing coming from the hvac duct register in the floor and some debris on a nearby window sill. House is new with a sealed crawl space but I guess they found a way. I haven't been under there yet due to a physical issue.

I wanted to know if ya'll have tried any of those plug-in ultrasonic repellent devices and if they worked?

Thanks

Tried some in the tack room. Didn’t do anything. Check where HVAC lines penetrate. Doesn’t take much of a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook

“I wanted to know if ya'll have tried any of those plug-in ultrasonic repellent devices and if they worked?”

Thanks
    If you get both “worked” and “did not work” data, it’s possible some of the varmints’ hearing was ruined by too loud stereos.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-04-2023 at 9:38 AM. Reason: Fixe quote tagging

Tried them, waste of money.... They do not work... and dogs do not like them...

Waste of Money. I have two. Instead, get a "Walk the Plank." Safe, sortof humane, quick, and the trap resets itself each time.
    Regards,

Tom

We had a mouse set up camp in our car and chew the wires so it wouldn't start.

$750 bucks later we were back on the road and the dealer told us to use mint pucks and spray- they don't like it.

Wanting to avoid another horrible bill, we got religion and now we're minty fresh.

So far so good, but I also have mouse traps all over the place.

No they don't work!
    Mice are the second most destructive animal on the planet!

My surface grinder electrical box just this month. I guess they got up under the machine and up the large wiring tube. so I will have to plug that up after I fix the wiring.
    I am not looking forward to opening the rest of the machines, some of which have way more complicated wiring than this.

mice.jpg mice2.jpg

I have a couple that I picked up for cheap from a Goodwill store. The mice have been at bay for a couple years now but I deployed the ultrasonic repellers with a bunch of other measures. I think the most successful have been snap traps with peanut butter and a piece of dog food kibble that they had become accustomed to. I also baited pretty heavily outside to get them before they entered the house. I would reccomend taking a broad tactical approach in the hopes that one of the many measures will work. Of course you will never be able to say for sure which measure actually did the trick.

Blog Entries
    If you don't have any pets put some of those rodent killer cubes in the crawl space. They work really well on several varieties of small rodents. We recently had a squirrel in our attic and it consumed part of one and was heard no more.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I walked up to a group of guys to have a conversation on a college campus I was working at and thought I was having a stroke or something. all of the sudden I started hearing this high pitch and no one else heard it. after 5 minutes one of the guys said their trucks have them because rodents were eating the wire harnesses. Made me pretty uneasy so Perry they work on me.

We had mice in the attic of our house. I called a pest control company and the fellow said to throw blocks of poison https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds all over in the attic, that's what he would do so do it yourself. My son in law went up and threw a pail full all over the place and we haven't heard any or found evidence of any since.

A few yrs ago we had an extra bag of sunflower seed for the bird feeder. I stored it in the shed. When ready I brought it in. Well a family had set up shop in there. An old trapper friend of mine taught me to control the direction of access to traps. I screwed the traps to plywood strips about 2.5-3” X 12” and cut cardboard to create a tunnel. I caught 16 mice in five days and the two cats contributed as well. Really very efficient and there is no poison laying around. We moved here in Feb and I took mass qtys of poison cakes out of the garage, attic and crawl space. Also, poison a rat/mouse and they crawl off to die in your duct work. they will stop stinking, eventually!

So we had an issue with a mouse. My wife bought some little camera that we put on the kitchen floor so we could see his Modus Operandi since nothing we tried worked. NEVER underestimate how smart a mouse can be or how in tune they are to you! They are observing you more than you could ever guess! Finally got him after 2 weeks! Nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    So we had an issue with a mouse.
    Rule 1: There is no such thing as "a mouse", there are only "mice".
    Rule 2: Every one you kill makes the others smarter. (see rule 1)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I walked up to a group of guys to have a conversation on a college campus I was working at and thought I was having a stroke or something. all of the sudden I started hearing this high pitch and no one else heard it. after 5 minutes one of the guys said their trucks have them because rodents were eating the wire harnesses. Made me pretty uneasy so Perry they work on me.
    Your wife must be very happy that you haven't chewed any house wiring lately.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”