Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone made countertops?

^^ Very spiffy. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

c1.jpg
    c2.jpg

Here's a full 8/4 Walnut countertop on Cherry cabinets I did a year or two ago. This pic was during install and prior to backsplash installation and new walnut LVP flooring, but you get the general idea. Turned out fantastic and no problems since. By the way, finish is Rubio Monocoat...
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 12-05-2023 at 10:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Made one out of sapele. Epoxied the end grain. Finished with rubio. Made sure there was room for growth on the backside.

Just used screws and slots.

I personally don't know why you would take the time to make your own and make it butcher block style.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Rather keep it in the Bank Vault !

Here is a picture of my current one from almost a year ago when I made it. It looks the same now except it is a bit darker. I used mineral oil and beeswax on this and also on the old one at the farm, and it does fine with being reapplied a few times a year after the initial run of 4-5 coats in a month or so. I usually use straight mineral oil for the first coat or two, and then the mix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    This is my 35 year old hard maple island. As I say, it gets daily hard use.

Attachment 511584
    This configuration is very similar to the one I built in Walnut. Just a bunch of thin strips glued up. Mine is only 3'ish years old so it gives me hope it will hold up as well as yours

I do it quite often, doing three out of Padauk this week. I use 3/4" baltic birch as a base, then make 7/16 T&G out of whatever wood I am using. This i fasten to the BB in a bed of West System using 207 hardener. I use 207 so that any squizeout will not yellow. After it cures it is sanded out using an automotive RA board sander, then glazed with West/207, slightly thinned so it soaks in well, followed by three or so finish coats. Has held up in restaurant settings just fine. Sometimes I use automotive clearcoat.

This is an island and counter+back splash I made and installed. I used lumbercore with 1/16” cross banding and 1/8” face veneer. 1” or so of matching edge and some end grain at the ends and around any openings(sink). Had all the panels made at a custom door shop in PA called Wolf Lumber. Couple missed opportunities but turned out great otherwise. Few years old now and haven’t heard about any issues. I used something like 6 coats of bonatraffic hd. Im with previous poster tho, Im all GF Enduro these days. Wood still feels like wood even covered in “plastic”. Don’t confuse rubbed out/polished with finished with poly.
    65E80415-328E-4C38-A42D-9701073BBB1E.jpeg7156C98A-FCB1-4D10-A7F8-7430D69F238D.jpg841DBFDA-8BB4-49B9-BA6B-52627B8D6B8D.jpg

Blog Entries
    Here is one top of solid wood..
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have children in the house, good luck with wood countertops. I never want to put the work in keeping the wood looking good, plus the destruction of the end grain of the wood under a sink. Definitely don't use under mount sinks. Our plastic laminate top is nearly 30 years old and has held up incredibly well. I sure can't see that kind of survival with a wood top.