Thread: How do you remove your chuck from the lathe

How do you remove your chuck from the lathe

I would like to know what approach members use to remove their chuck from the lathe and is there a best method

I have seen turners

Simply lock the chuck, place the chuck key in chuck and use force to rotate the chuck

Use a C spanner available with some lathes

or would a strap wrench be a good option

I used to wonder about this a long time ago. I have Oneway Stronghold and Talon chucks and just lock the spindle and use the chuck key. I guess one could use a C spanner in the locking set-screw hole in the adapter.
    The chucks don't seem to require a huge amount of force to loosen.

Lock the head and give the chuck key a tap with my hand. Works better with a chuck that uses a hex key, the drill press type keys want to go flying.

I loosen the set screw holding the chuck to the drive spindle. With the jaws of the chuck slightly apart, I insert the T-handled hex chuck wrench between the jaws twisting the chuck as I push in the spindle lock button on my PM-3520B. Then I remove the teflon washer from the drive spindle and put it in it's storage place.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If it's stuck ( this happened on my last lathe) I chuck a 1x2 2 feet long (at a right angle to the spindle.) Lock the spindle, then pull on the 2 x 2.

I only have a midi lathe. the chuck is a tapered press fit. I have a rod that came with the lathe. i put it through the drive end and tap it with a mallet. From other responses that doesnt seem to be standard

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I only have a midi lathe. the chuck is a tapered press fit. I have a rod that came with the lathe. i put it through the drive end and tap it with a mallet. From other responses that doesnt seem to be standard
    That sounds like a Morse taper for the press fit. Do you have to use a draw bar to keep it in place since usually such mountings come loose without tailstock pressure pushing it into the headstock?

I have all Vicmark chucks. I have never used a set screw on them, mostly because I don't think they are necessary, and this may be more for the way I turn since I don't do much of anything in reverse. I have never had a piece come off by stopping my lathe either, but I am usually in mid speed range or low speed range on my 3 speed lathes. To get the chuck off, set the spindle lock, insert chuck key into the hole, and crank it off. Just have to get it loose first. The hex key on the Vicmark chucks is plenty of leverage to loosen the chucks up. I have heard of people opening up their chuck jaws and inserting a draw bar then closing the jaws and using that to loosen the chuck.

robo hippy

I purchased a large metal spanner wrench on Amazon. with some appropriate grinding the tip fits the hex head hole on my Nova chucks. Tap with the palm of my hand and the chuck comes loose. Sometimes I do need to lock the spindle. Wouldn’t live without it.

Probably 98% of the time, I can remove my chucks by hand. Stop snapping the chuck in to the shaft face. Just tighten by hand with a gentle twist.