Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tractor (non-wood-working tool/toy)

Congrats. when I retired, Mrs got me a Mahindra 2555 cab hst. We looked at larger, but got the 2555 because the cab could fit into the pole barn doors. Our driveway is 980 ft long, parking spot to street. The old open cab tractor was a tough deal, but sitting out in the open was awful during a blizzard. The fel can do most, and the rear scraper blade cleans down to the gravel. Also nice having heat for winter and and air in summer.

The heaviest work we do around here is hay, which really doesn't take a lot of horse power. Only do 1500 to 2000 bales a year and stop. Make a lot of friends and neighbors forgive al lot of transgressions when you plow them out too.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I’m super excited. Only got a brief chance to try it out with my finish mower and it handles great. Will give it more workout over the coming weekends. No snow here, and I already had a front end loader/backhoe, but this one being less than half the weight is handy in many circumstances for sure. Thanks again.

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

Get some mud on that thing, I'll lend you some if you need it.
    Mud-out (800 x 370).jpg

Nice tractor, you'll have lots of fun "working" with it. I'm jealous of y'all with front end loaders. I make do with a rear end loader aka "pond scoop on my ol' 1951 Harry Ferguson.
    BillL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, I need more land so I can buy a tractor! Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    Nice tractor, you'll have lots of fun "working" with it. I'm jealous of y'all with front end loaders. I make do with a rear end loader aka "pond scoop on my ol' 1951 Harry Ferguson.
    BillL
    Loader envy is a real thing! Harry Ferguson's 3 point hitch can accomplish a lot. I sure have a crick in my neck after a day on the little Ford.

Here is some local tractor Folklore some of you all may enjoy.

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-07-2023 at 9:04 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

We've got one of the rear scoop pans also but rarely every find a need for it once we got the JD 310K backhoe. The loader on the new Kioti just further alleviates the need for the rear pan. That said, I scooped up many a load back in the day on the old gas Ford 8N tractors we had when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Got tired of fighting horse flies, yellow flies, bees/wasps while cutting grass,
    I appreciate your problem. 2 years ago I hit a hornet's nest with my tractor while mowing under trees in my walnut orchard. Little devils came after me wth a vengeance, and as I was driving up out of a gully and through brush to get away a couple came after my face. I tried to shoo them away, but hooked my glasses with my glove, throwing them off the side of the tractor. I can't see much at all without them, so had to stop in the middle of the brush, shut off the tractor, and go looking for my specs. Fortunately they were hung up in prickly ash tree about 8 feet from the tractor, and glinting in the sun, so I found them fairly quickly, and could hightail it out of hornet range after only 60 seconds or so dismounted. Fortunately too, they were not the really venemous yellow jackets, and I only got about 20 or so stings, but my arm and hands swelled up pretty nicely from that, and one eye swelled half shut.

Wish I had a video of the whole episode. It'd be funny as hell if you weren't in the middle of it.

But I really don't like tractor cabs, so I'm sticking with the one I have anyway.

Steve, I hit a nest with the FEL a number of years ago at our old property and had to "run for my life". The little Kubota was still running for about six hours before it finally ran out of fuel. I had to sneak up to it in the dark late that evening with a red light, put a little fuel in it and then high-tail it back to the house area while the little devils were sleeping.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Added a few items over last couple weeks

Added 2 pairs of Rigid Flood lights on rear. Two are facing straight back and two are on rotatable brackets aiming to the sides.
    IMG_4458.jpg

Also added a set of Rigid driving lights on the front and I have one more set of Rigid flood lights to install on the front aimed to the front sides. These all replaced the factory halogen spot lights. Much brighter and more fill light than the factory spots.
    IMG_4455.jpg

Added a hydraulic tilt cylinder and have one for the top link as well. I have the second rear port kit ready for install by the dealer shortly. They will be doing it and the 3rd function kit at same time.
    IMG_4448.jpg

Installed a brush guard on the front push bar to help protect the front end when moving brush.
    IMG_4447.jpg

Picked up a grapple. Haven’t been able to use it yet as I’ve been awaiting my 3rd function kit. Dealer should have it in and will be picking up the tractor next week to install it and the 2nd rear port.
    IMG_4080.jpg

Few more things to add, but so far it’s been great. First project was crowning a road and it did a great job with a rear blade and the hydraulic tilt function. I have a Sabre Samurai sitting and awaiting the 3rd function also. It will be used for limb trimming around road ways. On my future implement list is still a set of pallet forks, a tiller and maybe an offset flail mower one day as well. Fun fun.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-07-2024 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioning wanting to get a tiller, if you have an Agri Supply down there, they sell an Italian Coroni line of implements. I have a 67" tiller that was rated for max 35 hp. I pulled it for miles with a 70 hp and it never did anything but wear out a set of tines.

I did our whole cross country course for galloping horses on it that had been cleared timberland. I needed to get up the randomly scattered rocks and fill in small stump holes. After going over it to stir it all up, I tied the back flap up and went over it again. That hit all the rocks and tossed them up in the air (without the flap holding them down), landing on the surface to be picked up by hand. It worked like a charm.

I've run that tiller way more than it was ever intended to run with double the horsepower it was designed for. I can endorse getting one. It's not the absolute cheapest, but a lot cheaper than a more common name brand. They even keep replacement parts in stock, but I've never needed anything but a couple of sets of blades.

Greg that Cat is going to get jealous.
    Ron

a farmer moved several piles or rail way ties with those jaw things some years back. Got a ton of work done in little time.

Friend on 60 acres won coin in a lottery and bought a used tractor and used Skid steer. He said they are life changing. From day one of those two things he refers to shovels as idiot sticks. Cant pick up a shovel without remembering that.

Some of you have some great machinery. Farm here always moved or lifted machines for me. Now becoming a sea of homes. Argh

The Grapple is going to be a very valuable resource for your land maintenance.

There seems to be an implement brand that's getting a bit of action on the 'Tube called Ironwood or something like that, I think out of Tennessee. What I've seen so far seems to be pretty impressive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m pretty excited to get the grapple working. Will be very handy with debris clean up. I’m hoping it can also grab piles of pine straw. I went with a grapple rake style so it has a little more versatility. The one I have is from a company called CID. I have the 66” standard duty version: https://www.cidattachments.com/produ...ake-attachment

I have an ITC chain box and ITC tool box to mount on either side of the loader as well. Just haven’t gotten them on there but should be handy having them with me and not always having to go back to the barn for regular use items. https://itcquickattach.com/ITC-TOOL-SYSTEM_c_31.html

The coolest attachment will be the Sabre Samurai. I bought a blank skid steer attach plate to build a mount setup for it. You can see it in my grapple picture above. Will make change over quicker than clamping it on my bucket each time and will give it a solid place to stay stored under cover. https://www.cutthat.com/product/sabr...2/#description

The other plan is to get the 3-link quick attach setup once I get the second rear port installed with the hydraulic top link. That should make implement changes easier.

My Grandfather took care of the place with a couple of Ford 8N tractors over the course of nearly 5 decades. My Dad took over and replaced the last 8N with a Massey Furgeson 241S, and later replaced that with a John Deere 5045E. He took care of the property for the last 2 decades with those two tractors. Now that I’m taking over, I had originally purchased a smaller John Deere 2032R to compliment the 5045, but decided to trade them both in for this Kioti with the cab. I feel pretty blessed to have the ability to do so and know that it will help me get more done with less time required.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-07-2024 at 2:55 PM.