Thread: Unique carbon fiber reinforced archtop guitar build

Unique carbon fiber reinforced archtop guitar build

Hi all,
    Just wanted to share a project I just finished. Thought you might enjoy a little behind the scenes process:

Nice build, nice shop too. Your CAD skills are way past mine but I'd like to build an electric some day (right now I'm on my second acoustic). Your use of the carbon fiber is pretty cool here; do you feel it helped with the structural stability or was it mainly for shielding the electronics?
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Nice build, nice shop too. Your CAD skills are way past mine but I'd like to build an electric some day (right now I'm on my second acoustic). Your use of the carbon fiber is pretty cool here; do you feel it helped with the structural stability or was it mainly for shielding the electronics?
    Thanks, David - the CF absolutely reinforces the bracing and top/back

That's a great build, Matthew. I enjoyed the video for sure and it's clear you put a lot of time into your design. The use of the CF was really interesting, both for the structural benefits as well as the shielding, something difficult in a hollow body instrument. Best wishes for the GGBO!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a great build, Matthew. I enjoyed the video for sure and it's clear you put a lot of time into your design. The use of the CF was really interesting, both for the structural benefits as well as the shielding, something difficult in a hollow body instrument. Best wishes for the GGBO!!
    Thanks so much, Jim.
    I started designing and building the guitar before I knew about ggbo but figured itwould be fun to enter it. I literally finished it the day of the deadline for submission

Same, although I doubt I'll ever enter and my instruments so far are not anything as advanced as yours!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...