Thread: Sawstop daido insert VS Infinity version?

Sawstop daido insert VS Infinity version?

Brian

That's not a dado specific insert, rather a general purpose plate with replaceable inserts.

The advantage of the replaceable inserts for use with a dado set vs. the standard SS dado insert is that with the SS unit, once you cut, say, a 3/4 dado, you are stuck with the 3/4 opening in the insert. When you use it for a narrower dado, it won't be zero clearance on the one side so you may get more tear-out along that side of the cut.

With the replaceable inserts, you can remove the insert with the 3/4 wide slot, install a new insert, and cut it with the narrower dado. Then you will have a zero clearance on both sides for the narrower dado.

Of course, you can just buy a bunch of the standard SS dado inserts and keep one for each size of dado you usually cut. But it's a lot more expensive to swap the whole insert assembly vs just slipping in a new strip into the Infinity version.

If you're cutting grooves (along the grain), having zero clearance usually isn't crucial, but when you're cutting cross grain, especially in plywood, the zero clearance really helps.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Those look like the same ones from Colliflower here, but are $30 more expensive.
    I'm hoping Santa brings me one this year.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

I think my dadoe insert 3/4 baltic on one cabinet saw is over 40 years old. Its horrible and for years pick it up and think should make a new one or ones just do a run of them. I like the 3/4 baltic old stuff and relieve to fit the saw and blade clearance if was needed. If its critical have different dadoes and the negative rake ones cut nice and clean in different materials. havent tried Melmine. sorry Mel

Due to its arbor design, SawStop has a uniquely designed throat insert. The below link to a Fine Woodworking article (Tools and Shop 2016 edition, p. 58-61) provides a diagram to shop-fabricate a SawStop zero clearance throat insert:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/memb.../011251058.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Due to its arbor design, SawStop has a uniquely designed throat insert. The below link to a Fine Woodworking article (Tools and Shop 2016 edition, p. 58-61) provides a diagram to shop-fabricate a SawStop zero clearance throat insert:

Thanks, appreciated. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    The advantage of the replaceable inserts for use with a dado set vs. the standard SS dado insert is that with the SS unit, once you cut, say, a 3/4 dado, you are stuck with the 3/4 opening in the insert. When you use it for a narrower dado, it won't be zero clearance on the one side so you may get more tear-out along that side of the cut.

With the replaceable inserts, you can remove the insert with the 3/4 wide slot, install a new insert, and cut it with the narrower dado. Then you will have a zero clearance on both sides for the narrower dado.

Of course, you can just buy a bunch of the standard SS dado inserts and keep one for each size of dado you usually cut. But it's a lot more expensive to swap the whole insert assembly vs just slipping in a new strip into the Infinity version.

If you're cutting grooves (along the grain), having zero clearance usually isn't crucial, but when you're cutting cross grain, especially in plywood, the zero clearance really helps.
    Paul, never had a lot of problems using my metal one, so never thought about having multiples. Thanks Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post

I just finished with a CAD version of this for my CNC. Will be trying to test it out this weekend

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Paul, never had a lot of problems using my metal one, so never thought about having multiples. Thanks Brian
    I had multiples for my 22124 since I ran different kerf blades for different tasks. A zero clearance insert isn't real helpful if there isn't zero clearance . With the Saw Stop I picked up one of the Colliflower inserts during a clearance event somewhere. Making your own inserts for it is a snap.

SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (10).jpg

Making ZCI's out of 1/2" BB ply works great. The replaceable insert can be built into a plywood base too if you've got the fabricating gene .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have one of the original aluminum body Colliflower inserts I got from Infinity. I like it but with caveats. The opening for a dado set is wide enough for a 3/4 stack but just barely. I kind of like the idea of the micarta they use now. Less strength but not conductive so less chance to trigger the cartridge if something goes wrong. My main issue is the inserts are made of mdf and are very, very, flimsy. As has been noted, they are not hard to make and if you make them of solid wood they are much stronger. Even softwood is stronger than mdf. Hardwood ones are pretty sturdy. Good way to make use of some scrap. I think the Colliflower is a much better idea than buying a whole bunch of pretty expensive throat plates from SawStop.

Thanks for the inspiration Brian. I finally got around to finishing my design and milled a couple of samples today.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-Throat-Plate