Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minimax MM16 Elec Switch problem - Fixed !!!

Well both capacitors are new. The resistor is new. Still no start. The breaker trips as soon as you push the start button. The breaker trips even though the drive belt has been removed. The motor spins freely by hand though. Perhaps it is something inside the motor itself? I wonder if the start circuit inside the motor is not closing properly. Anybody ever opened their motor up to have a look inside?

I'm going to make a diagnosis based on both the described symptoms and personal experience with a CEG motor similar to the ones MiniMax uses; the last time that the saw started successfully the centrifugal switch failed to open. This in turn caused the start winding to remain energized while the motor was running. The start winding overheated and shorted out, causing the overload to trip and stop the saw. Now the motor can not start due to the shorted start winding and repeated attempts to start it have burned the run winding causing a dead short that is tripping the breaker.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I would bet a round of drinks that you will be in the market for a new motor. Unfortunately it is a metric frame motor and if I'm right you are going to be mighty upset at the price of replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I'm going to make a diagnosis based on both the described symptoms and personal experience with a CEG motor similar to the ones MiniMax uses; the last time that the saw started successfully the centrifugal switch failed to open. This in turn caused the start winding to remain energized while the motor was running. The start winding overheated and shorted out, causing the overload to trip and stop the saw. Now the motor can not start due to the shorted start winding and repeated attempts to start it have burned the run winding causing a dead short that is tripping the breaker.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I would bet a round of drinks that you will be in the market for a new motor. Unfortunately it is a metric frame motor and if I'm right you are going to be mighty upset at the price of replacement.
    I am afraid you are correct. Are these motors repairable by a motor shop? If not, do you know where to purchase a replacement?

A good motor shop can rewind it, expect to pay +/- $300.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    A good motor shop can rewind it, expect to pay +/- $300.
    I can live with that. But I feel like these motors should be more reliable and robust than they are. I managed to find a shop in Hartford, CT. They have been in business since 1934. And the head of operations there told me to bring in the motor and they will check it out for me.

Thank you everybody who chimed in with helpful advice. It is very much appreciated.

I don't recall seeing much posting about motor issues for the MM16, so this might just be "luck of the draw" that you're having an issue with yours. Some switches, yes, but motors, no. At least to my recollection.

At any rate, hopefully, the motor shop you found will get you fixed up if it is indeed an issue with the motor itself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...