Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Lie-Nielsen planes cost so much...

I MIGHT buy a used tool, after I have exausted all other options or bought all I need from established makers. (Like braces and handdrills, which I cant seem to find quality new ones)

I have some disposable income I can spend on a Hobby..
    Just to give an example… a very good Birding binocular, and my favoritt, a Swarovski SLC 8x56 costs new here $2280.

I had no problem buying one, because I know how good it is for my use, even though I have others.
    But for the same money, I could now buy LN #3, #4 1/2, #5 1/2, #7 and a #60 1/2. And I can.. But I struggle with that desicion, because I allready have much of this covered by Veritas tools.

And I should not buy more tools then I need right?
    That is a common advice/reply on most handtool forums.
    One should have just the exact number tools or prefrably less then one actually needs..
    And try to find old ones, that you yourself Fixed up, to save yourself money. **)

And even though I have more expensive binoculars then the Swarovski 8x56 SLC, for nearly the same uses, I actually struggle to buy duplicate Planes and designs from a different makers, like the Line up of Lie Nielsen planes mentioned. Because its so ingrained in Handtools forums and articles, less is more, more pure, more focused on the art, the furniture… and not excess in tools.

But in birdwatching, people are not encoraged to buy used.
    So birders upgrade when new tech or design arrives and most end up with several for same uses and backups.
    Because watching birds are fleeting moments and you should have best possible optics to experince it.

So what am I saying… people are ofte encouraged to not buy new tools made in Western countries, but find used ones and fix them up. And that you dont really need new… It is sort of true. But then all production will be eventually be outsourced. We all want new tools to be cheaper, my currency has taken a huge hit last two years making LV & LN tools 20-30-40% more expensive. But, I still buy new, instead of 80 year old tools, when there are new products made. But its just s hobby for me.. and I like to use nice things, knowing people are well paid for the product I am using.

Now dog wants to go for a walk, so I have to stop this rant…
    Dog is poking his nose into my knee.. and I try telling him its raining/snowing outside, but he wants none of that.
    So not as well said as I like… and auto correct is killing me…

Oh…and not made in China… just to push all the buttons.

**)
    Perfectly valid reasons if you dont have dissposable income or you need 3x #5 or 5x #4 for your actuall Jobs.
    Last edited by Dan Kraakenes; 12-14-2023 at 9:30 AM.