Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windsor side chairs completed!

Windsor side chairs completed!

I have chronicled the build of 8 dining side chairs on my FB page, but for those that don't do FB, the chairs are now done! These are a modification and enlargement on the Curtis Buchanan plan for the fan back chair. The modification involved changes in the curvature of the spindle deck, the angles of legs and spindles, height of the crest and its curvature, as well as an enlargement of the seat - challenging, but interesting to do.

They have taken their place at the dining table along with the two comb back Windsors at each end - the first two chairs I built. One of the comb backs is painted black over green, and the other is black over red. The 8 side chairs are a Merlot, which seems to work very well with the comb backs.

These chairs make 23 in all of the Windsors I have built since Covid hit. I have learned a lot!!

Now, all shop time will be spent on building the writing arm chair, though I don't expect to get that chair finished until well after New Years - perhaps even up into February. There is a lot of complexity involved, and much of that takes a lot of time, but I am slowly getting all of the parts completed.

Mods, if this would be more appropriately placed in the Neander forum feel free to move it. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-09-2023 at 9:05 AM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, those are beauties!!! Any chance to get some close up shots?

Really nice job sir! The chairs are wonderful and the home is stunning to. I love a timber frame house!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Absolutely stunning work John and the chairs add so much to your already beautiful home! The photos, especially with Eileen's Christmas decorations, look like something out of Country Living magazine! You should be very proud of your creations! Thank you for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    John, those are beauties!!! Any chance to get some close up shots?
    John, I am not sure what you want close up shots of, but here are a couple of pics I took along the way. If you want others let me know.

And, thanks John, Steve and Dan for the kind words!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are great, I just wanted a better shot of the spindle work. Exemplary work, makes me happy to look at it.

Incredible work John. As Steve said, they compliment the room beautifully.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

John, since the very first time I teased you about buying a lathe to turn some legs, pictures of your projects have been inspiring! Well done, Sir! Well done, indeed!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congratulations! Beautiful. And completed in plenty of time for Christmas dinner.

Winning Windsors

Beautiful authoritative Kingly …and Queenly thrones. Beat That BARKA- LOUNGER Lizards !
    And those seats are WARMER than Gold chairs.

Beautiful work Sir!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

12. Beautifully skilled work, John! Those would beautifully adorn any dining room. Thanks for posting them.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks to all that have commented and to all that have viewed I would encourage you to build a chair! Not only does it improve your spindle turning skills, it hones so many basic woodworking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Thanks to all that have commented and to all that have viewed I would encourage you to build a chair! Not only does it improve your spindle turning skills, it hones so many basic woodworking skills.
    I can't imagine, the skills to do something like that is way over my pay grade. Beautiful and they match the room so well.

beautiful!