Thread: 1/4 in dowel strength? Monitor Stand Project

1/4 in dowel strength? Monitor Stand Project

Good evening everyone!

I should've thought this before I started the project but here we are! I'm making my dad a monitor stand out of Sapele and was planning on using 1/4 dowels for the joinery but now I'm worried it won't be strong enough.

The top of the stand is 10.5 in wide and 23 in long. It'll be supported by 2 "legs" also made out of sapele 6 in tall (same width). All boards are 5/8 in (I had a 1.5 in board that I resawed in half). I'll have a shelf about half way down the stand as well.

Since the boards are only 5/8 in wide I'm thinking I can only use 1/4 in dowels. I'm planning on using 4 dowels per joint. In terms of how heavy monitors are these days I'm assuming it won't be more than 20 lbs?

Long way of asking if the 1/4 in dowels will be strong enough to support!

Thanks

Luis

EDIT: I'm not thinking straight. The top board will be on top of the legs so the strength will come from the legs. Is there a way I can delete this thread?
    Last edited by Luis Reyes; 12-09-2023 at 9:15 PM.

In your design, strength isn’t so much the issue as resistance against sideways wracking. I’d add a back, or some triangulation at the rear, between the the top and the sides

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    In your design, strength isn’t so much the issue as resistance against sideways wracking. I’d add a back, or some triangulation at the rear, between the the top and the sides
    s

Some of the dowels in hardware bins , have grain running way off of straight. You can easily break them in bare hands . Watch Out !

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I hadn't thought of this. Good idea!