Thread: Source for additional banjo for Delta 46-460

Source for additional banjo for Delta 46-460

Hi folks,

The title says it all: I'm looking for another banjo for my lathe. I mostly turn furniture spindles and would like to build a much longer tool rest to enable smoother, longer, cuts with the skew. Something like the pic below. Delta banjos occasionally come up on ebay, but I'm not sure they'll fit and they're also pretty pricey. Delta wants well over $100 just for the banjo body new.

I found some posts here on the issue, but still have two questions: the ways on my lathe are 1.25" apart. Is that a standard size? And: Harbor Freight made a 12" lathe, for which parts are somewhat cheaper. Can anyone who has one comment on whether it might fit my Delta?

long rest.jpeg
    Last edited by Sam Shankar; 12-10-2023 at 6:25 AM.

The ways are not standard - at least across the two that I have. As long as the mechanism is wider than the ways you can grind it to fit. I had to do this with a steady rest.

The banjo is not the issue, it's simply that locking plate under it. And that is an easy project for anyone with a metal lathe. Wood lathe will also turn brass, and that would work fine.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 12-10-2023 at 6:32 PM.

Sam:
    Oneway makes banjos for lathes with 10 to 24 inch plus swings. They will also sell you a clamp block for pretty much any lathe bed. The Oneway banjos aren't cheap, but they are very good! Any Oneway dealer should be able to get you what you need.
    Cheers.
    Barry W. Larson
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry W. Larson View Post
    The Oneway banjos aren't cheap, but they are very good!
    Yeah I saw those but was hoping to get something cheaper than $250 Canadian! My turning skills are not worth that.

I did see that one but it looks like a bear to put on and take off. And I’d like to be able to adjust height. But it’s what I’ll resort to eventually if another banjo is out of the question.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shankar View Post
    I did see that one but it looks like a bear to put on and take off. And I’d like to be able to adjust height. But it’s what I’ll resort to eventually if another banjo is out of the question.
    It could easily be modified to make it height adjustable. Couple of slots in the rest board with nuts on the bed portion. Use the "bolts" that come with knobs to adjust without a wrench.
    I don't know how long or well the tool rubbing surface lasts but a hardened rod could be epoxied into a groove for longer wear - this is done on some metal rests as well.

Yeah I just got outbid again on ebay for another banjo so I think I'll be doing this DIY