Thread: CNC woodworking classes?

CNC woodworking classes?

Happy Holidays,
    As the title suggests, I am looking for in person woodworking classes for CNC.

As the new year approaches, I am thinking that schools will be posting their 2024 schedues.

I have had a onefinity CNC for about 18 months. I have completed several different types of projects, but am wanting to learn more.

I live on the west coast so a school in western US would be preferable.

Looking for week long classes.

I have seen Marcadams school of woodworking and they have week long classes. (they are located in Indiana)

Thank you in advance

Mike

Look at the smaller community colleges for a general class. But I'd suggest what you really need is a class on whatever software you have. The software does all the work now, definitely don't waste time learning how to write G code. I tried teaching a co-worker how to run the CNC in our shop, but he got hung up on the idea that there should only be one way to machine something and wanted line by line instructions on exactly how to set up and run a piece. That almost never happens, there are always many ways to do the same thing with CNC.

The key to this learning is that it's all about the software you have or will have with the CNC machine in your shop. Vectric has excellent online training and there is similar for other software out there on the market. It may be hard to find an in-person class for this kind of thing that is applicable to the software you'll be using. Any training, other than some housekeeping basics that are specific to the machine brand, model and setup you have or purchase is minimal...the learning curve is with the drawing and toolpathing. There is no "code to write" as Richard points out. Few folks do that and most often when they do, it's just for utility such as setting up repeat cutting of a file, etc. Otherwise, the software you draw and toolpath with is what creates the files that tell the machine what and how to cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you both.
    You have made some good points.
    I run Vectric Vcarve pro.
    I have been thinking about this upcoming year, and always wanting to further my knowledge.
    The one class I saw uses Vectric.

It is really about two different aspects, the actual machine and the software
    I will say I spend more effort (thinking time) in the design and planning (toolpaths)
    I watch a lot of training videos on YouTube. The Internet is full of resources

Not what you asked, but there are 1:1 online tutoring available. I would imagine sitting down together with an experienced designer and working through a specific project would share a lot of tips, tricks, and approaches that would be valuable learning.

Plus it could be recorded to go back to later.

One or two hours here and there would be a significant learning.

Like Jim said. If you have had it for 18 months you probably have a very solid grasp of the machine itself the rest would be software/project choice. Vectric has a good series that pretty much runs through the entirety of Vcarves functions. If you are looking to grow what I would do is pick a project you havent done. For me I havent done any 3d carving yet so that will be my next cnc project after the holidays.

I can heartly recommend https://academy.learnyourcnc.com/ Kyle is a master with Vectric software and his courses are reasonably priced. Group sessions as well as 1on1 is available.

I prefer in person learning whenever possible, but I have to say Vectric's tutorials are easy to follow and to the point. I spent several evenings following along with the basic tutorials before I got my 1F and had a good grasp of how to machine a project when it arrived. Whenever I want to do something new that's not obvious, I go look for a tutorial that covers that topic.

As others have said, beyond the understanding of how to control your 1F from the machine interface, there's not much learning to be done, just routine maintenance. It's all about the software and learning what chiploads to use. Manufacturers tooling databases are a good place to start for chiploads.

John