Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper Origin - 1gen vs 2gen

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Let me know what you think Dan. I'm considering ordering one as well, before the 20th. I like the idea of adding a capable tool to my arsenal. Plus, I make a living in high-tech and this kind of stuff is right up my alley
    Michael, a Shaper Origin could be a very nice addition to you shop because IMHO, it will compliment your big CNC, particularly for things like joinery and situations where "brining the machine to the material" is the more practical approach. A recent example was someone needed to engrave an existing piece of furniture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Let me know what you think Dan. I'm considering ordering one as well, before the 20th. I like the idea of adding a capable tool to my arsenal. Plus, I make a living in high-tech and this kind of stuff is right up my alley
    Michael, I come from the tech world as well. It has swerved me well in my hobbies. I will do my best to update all of you once it's here. I will throw this out, there is a 30 day return policy. If you are considering it, buy before 12/20 and then you can return if not satisfied. Based on my research, I don't see a return in my future unless the unexpected happens.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Michael, a Shaper Origin could be a very nice addition to you shop because IMHO, it will compliment your big CNC, particularly for things like joinery and situations where "brining the machine to the material" is the more practical approach. A recent example was someone needed to engrave an existing piece of furniture.
    I think you’re right Jim. This was my thinking as well. I’ve all but actually made the purchase at this point.

I think you’re right Jim. This was my thinking as well. I’ve all but actually made the purchase at this point.
    Come on Michael, let's learn this thing together!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Come on Michael, let's learn this thing together!
    Done! Should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Agreed. I added the Origin a couple of weeks ago for exactly those two reasons. I have a CNC router in my shop, but added the Origin for doing (mainly) end grain joinery and situations where a piece was too large for the router bed or too difficult to orient or to secure to the table. It's already proving itself very useful.

Done! Should be fun!
    Cool! Mine arrives today!

when you get your new shaper origin check that the dust collection plastic shroud is one piece,
    when mine was shipped it came 2 pieces and they thought it was damaged in shipping but no
    it was 2 parts right from shaper origin---should be one plastic part fit easily
    if you are a new owner you might not realize this

It's one piece, just put it on an hour ago. Thanks!

great mine must have been a fluke

You're making me jealous Dan! I'm currently playing around with Vcarve and figuring out layer coloring to see how well it will import into Shaper Studio.