Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skew size

Skew size

Ok, I'm finally kind of getting the hang of the skew. There's a much lighter touch needed than I thought (mostly). I've become semi- comfortable with the 1.25" skew and I'm "starting" to get semi-ok at beads but I'm finding the 3/4" skew better for this. It's that correct? Can anyone share their favorite size skew(s) and any additional tips on this tool would be appreciated. I'm using the Alan Lacer grind on my skews. Oh, one other thing... I'm finding that using the short point to roll a bead works better for me (less catches) than using the part you use in a planing cut but the latter gives a little better surface. Which is correct? Thanks in advance.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Depends on scale. I wouldn't want to use even a 3/4" skew for 1/8" beads, nor would I want to use a small skew to turn a porch post. You need different sizes.

I am mostly making furniture to fit inside my house. When I sold my old lathe the one tool I did keep is a Robert Sorby HSS skew about 23.5 inches long with an edge about 1 3/8 inches.

I can see trying different sizes to see what works for you and your style and your shape. As a fairly n00b turner there is no point in me recommending any tool. But I do have enough experience to say a reasonable quality skew with a fair amount of heft to it can do everything I need for 'simple, basic' shapes, and is straightforward to sharpen compared to the esoteric rabbit holes.

Good luck and best wishes.

One of Alan Lacer's demo tricks is to turn a 1/4" tall top with a 4" skew, to demonstrate that you don't need a small skew to turn small objects. That's OK as long as the curves are convex, not concave, and the tool is not too fat to get into the V or cove you're cutting. I use a ~1-3/8" skew about 95% of the time, a 3/4" one when it doesn't fit. I use the bigger skew for everything down to microbeads, it's usually the tool I have in hand and it doesn't make sense to take the time to change tools. The "sweet spot" for cutting is much wider on a bigger skew; when using a small skew you really have to be attentive where you're cutting to avoid catches. When cutting beads I make the initial V cut with the long point then roll the bead with the short, back to detailing the intersection of the bead with whatever is next to it with the long; at least I think that's what I do.

Looks like it's all just personal preference... I joined my local (45 minutes away) turning club hoping to find someone to help with hands on but of the 12 members I've turned with thus far, none use a skew and most were against even trying. Frustrations of learning without guidance I guess...

Yes, like many things it's personal preference. I'm not totally surprised with the results of your polling members because there is probably nothing that a skew can do that can't be done by other tools. I do use a skew occasionally but that's usually because I think I should really learn to do better at using the thing. Certainly those that are skilled with the skew can efficiently do a lot of different cuts with it. I watched a good turner make a table leg with lots of decorative cuts from square stock only using a skew.
    My thought on the size is that I've found that larger tools are more useful than smaller tools and if there is a real physical reason the larger one can't be used then use the smaller one. In general, beginning turners often like smaller tools but as experience grows so does the size of the tool.
    Last edited by Bill Howatt; 12-12-2023 at 4:23 PM.

When I purchased my lathe, the intent was just to make bowls. But the more I learned, the more I understood (I think) that a base proficiency in spindle work will help me understand the tool better (I'm also enjoying it more than expected). Also feel that mastering the skew is a good first step to a higher level of turning proficiency. That said, I could totally be wrong (I'm still new) but in the end, I really want to get better with this tool regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Yes, like many things it's personal preference. I'm not totally surprised with the results of your polling members because there is probably nothing that a skew can do that can't be done by other tools. I do use a skew occasionally but that's usually because I think I should really learn to do better at using the thing. Certainly those that are skilled with the skew can efficiently do a lot of different cuts with it. I watched a good turner make a table leg with lots of decorative cuts from square stock only using a skew.
    My thought on the size is that I've found that larger tools are more useful than smaller tools and unless there is a real physical reason the larger one can't be used then use the smaller one. In general, beginning turners often like smaller tools but as experience grows so does the size of the tool.

I agree with what others have said. In a lot of famous woodturner's (Tomislav Tomasic, Steve Jones, Alan Lacer, Richard Raffan) videos, they often seem to use larger skews most if not all of the time (I would guess around 1"-1 1/4"). I purchased a 1" and 1/2" skew when I first started and over the years have become much more comfortable with the 1/2" for whatever reason. I feel like I can get much better surface with it but I'm pretty sure that is just me and not the tool. That being said, the smaller skew works for me and I use it a lot. Like you, I started out to turn bowls but have found that I enjoy making small ornaments, boxes, rolling pins, and many other spindle turnings just as much and for those the skew is great. Good luck and have fun.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    ... Like you, I started out to turn bowls but have found that I enjoy making small ornaments, boxes, rolling pins, and many other spindle turnings just as much and for those the skew is great. Good luck and have fun.

Tom
    More or less my journey too. I don't sell stuff and really how many bowls do you need - I've found making the above items very enjoyable and very suitable as gifts.

I'll add a possible helpful note for new turners: Keep a log of what you gave to whom, perhaps finish details, wood species, date, etc. Avoid having to wonder if you already gave aunt Tillie a pen.

I've watched all his videos. What a talented guy.

Bernie Weishapl and I got goaded into a skew challenge years ago. For over a month, all I did was practice turning with a skew. It's a 3/4" skew. I also bought much larger and narrower Lacer skews. Currently I am turning a small turning on the 4th table leg for a table I am building. The best turner I follow is on FB and is a British production turner. 99.9% of what he turns is with a 1" skew. This Brit and Alan Lacer on his videos turn great detail on micro turnings with a big skew. Using a skew takes practice, practice and more practice. Contrary to the old adage using a skew is not "Like riding a bike", IMO, as far as what I am experiencing. While I have been able to turn "okay" currently with my skew, I am not at the level of skill I once had because recently I haven't been turning a lot with or without a skew.

My most used skew is a 3/4" skew. It's the first one I bought.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for sharing, Ken. The 3/4 is what's working best for me right now for beads but the 1 and 1/4 is most comfortable for everything else.

Skews are my favorite tool. I have several and often turn everything for an entire afternoon using only skew chisels. I have found that I do not like hollow ground edges on a skew. I also include a Russian lathe knife as well as a square chisel (no angle) , Left skew and right skew (old school stuff) I even use my old spear point tools as little skew chisels. When you say short point. I have no clue. The "toe" is the tip of the blade, the "heel" is where the other end (rear most) of the edge blends into the shaft of the tool. I even part with a skew and drill holes in end grain sometimes.

I'm not there yet, pretty but I aspire to be. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Skews are my favorite tool. I have several and often turn everything for an entire afternoon using only skew chisels. I have found that I do not like hollow ground edges on a skew. I also include a Russian lathe knife as well as a square chisel (no angle) , Left skew and right skew (old school stuff) I even use my old spear point tools as little skew chisels. When you say short point. I have no clue. The "toe" is the tip of the blade, the "heel" is where the other end (rear most) of the edge blends into the shaft of the tool. I even part with a skew and drill holes in end grain sometimes.