Thread: Removing shellac without sanding

Removing shellac without sanding

I built a jig about a year ago,--mdf--that I need to modify (and it would be too time consuming to just build another one).
    I used spray shellac on it (can, Zinnser dewaxed), and so need to remove the shellac in a half dozen places where I have to glue on the new modded pieces.
    Each place measures about 2 inches square.
    IS there a way to remove the shellac without sanding? Would alcohol or Acetone wipe down take it off?
    I will sand it if I have to but would prefer not to.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

If you let denatured alcohol sit on the shellac for a few minutes it will soften and remove the shellac. It will likely not remove it from the pores of the wood, so I can't vouch for the quality of a glue joint.

Ammonia absolutely destroys shellac fast. Alcohol is what I use most of the time or a card scraper.
    I use ammonia for my brushes
    Good Luck
    Aj

Alcohol will remove the shellac but I don't know what it'll do to the mdf. Might make it swell and you'll have to sand it a bit.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

In fact the alcohol doesn’t affect the MDF at all. I use shellac based Zinsser B-I-N for priming edges of MDF and never have issues.

Nothing says you have to use PVA glue.
    You could always just hit it with CA and activator.

Maybe drill out a hole and glue in a dowel after the ca if you think it needs more strength.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

. . . or epoxy
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Ammonia absolutely destroys shellac fast. Alcohol is what I use most of the time or a card scraper.
    I use ammonia for my brushes
    Good Luck
    Thanks for the ammonia hint, Andrew. It was just the ticket for getting shellac out of crevasses of a carving I've been trying to clean up. I'm amazed I haven't heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Thanks for the ammonia hint, Andrew. It was just the ticket for getting shellac out of crevasses of a carving I've been trying to clean up. I'm amazed I haven't heard of it before.
    How did you apply it? Use a cloth? or a brush?... and if a brush, is synthetic bristles OK? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    How did you apply it? Use a cloth? or a brush?... and if a brush, is synthetic bristles OK? Thanks
    Mostly Q-tips, in my case, and cotton balls cleaned up the larger areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Mostly Q-tips, in my case, and cotton balls cleaned up the larger areas.
    Thanks for the info