Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best way to make lots of 1/8" slots

I'm somewhat confused by this discussion. Freud makes a number of 8" blades with full 1/8 kerf in the ~$60 dollar range and all are easily found on the main retailers, seems no brainer to just use one of those? 50t and 48t versions linked above by two other posters. Am I missing something?

Not sure what the budget is but I've sold Ridge Carbide blades in a slew of configurations that would work. 7-1/4", 8" 9" ATB+R, all FTG for box joints ... But all are over $100

I do think table saw is the best method, just need to get the tooling figured out. You can also get custom blades at .140" if that's what you want but again not inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    I'm somewhat confused by this discussion. Freud makes a number of 8" blades with full 1/8 kerf in the ~$60 dollar range and all are easily found on the main retailers, seems no brainer to just use one of those? 50t and 48t versions linked above by two other posters. Am I missing something?
    No Tom. You are just better informed than the rest of us. I searched Freud 8" full kerf blade and found a variety. I was not aware of this having never had the need for such tooling. Good answer!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If it will work? 10" blades don't even fit the saw. They hit trunnion parts in the front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    No Tom. You are just better informed than the rest of us. I searched Freud 8" full kerf blade and found a variety. I was not aware of this having never had the need for such tooling. Good answer!
    Ditto. Google is only as good as the information you enter. The Freud 8" Heavy Duty Full Kerf os on its way to me. I'll report on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    It doesn't matter really since a rip blade is being recommended only because the teeth leave a flat bottom in the slot.

As for the task itself - it sounds tailor made for something a track saw can do.
    How can you make that assement without knowing the size of the pieces? How are you going to cut 1/8" slots, 1/4" deep in a piece that is 16" long and 4" wide (in the 4" width, so I guess I'm technically cutting dados).

How? Easy,,, I made that statement before you added the information about the sizes.
    Now that you've bothered to include that bit of information I guess using a track saw isn't the right answer.

Good luck with your endeavor...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon