Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easiest trestle table base design

Easiest trestle table base design

Since I’m having to adjust the base design so much from what I had planned to do, I’m basically starting over. As long as I am, I’m wondering what I should do. It will mark my first mortise and tenon project. What are suggestion for me? What would you consider the easiest table base?

Stickley library table, or the Limber Turtle table.
    However, both require very exact joinery, as will any project the size of a table.
    It's not the design that makes something easy, or not, it's the joinery. 32nds. and 64ths, can compound very quickly on larger project. You have to be, repetitive, and exact.Cutting "skinny, or fat,to the line", will be your undoing, unless it's the same, every time.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-13-2023 at 8:18 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I built this table over 20 years ago: as I recall it was a very good tutorial on how to build trestle tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I built this table over 20 years ago: as I recall it was a very good tutorial on how to build trestle tables.
    what the best way to get a hold of this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    what the best way to get a hold of this issue?
    Assuming you don't have FWW account that gives you unlimited access to back issues, here is link to hard copy of article and plan drawings:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/fine-w...ition=15315805

I built this table about 6-7 yrs ago out of the ‘06 Woodworking Mag. It is at my daughter’s home surviving the small Grands and their friends. The first top I built was a potato chip so it called for a re-do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Table is glued. 84”x 36 5/8”. Plan is to take it out if clamps next week and flatten the top and then let is rest.
    IMG_4037.jpg

Your first mortice and tenon joint will look like your first mortice and tenon joint. Don't keep it, make it in scrap of the same material and size. Be patient. It may take more than one practice to work out the tools and techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Your first mortice and tenon joint will look like your first mortice and tenon joint. Don't keep it, make it in scrap of the same material and size. Be patient. It may take more than one practice to work out the tools and techniques.
    You’re right I’m sure. Not sure i’d use the wood I’m using the table. I’ve been thinking about making a shop bent so I could do that after a practice joint or two.

Tony,

There are many variations on the trestle design.
    This is one that I am making at this instant. I now have the top on and will be adding a two-way drawer.
    The design is on the Fine Woodworking website.

IMG_2047.jpg

This is a through tenon with a wedge to hold the joint tight.
    It is easier to make than it may look.

IMG_2049.jpg

Regards,

Phil
    Last edited by Philip Glover; 12-16-2023 at 8:24 PM.

Continued:

This is with the top attached.
    There are three cleats on each leg to hold the top in place. The cleats allow seasonal movement.

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Phil
    Last edited by Philip Glover; 12-16-2023 at 8:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Since I’m having to adjust the base design so much from what I had planned to do, I’m basically starting over. As long as I am, I’m wondering what I should do. It will mark my first mortise and tenon project. What are suggestion for me? What would you consider the easiest table base?
    Hi Tony

Put aside for the moment what is easier or less complicated a design, and ask yourself what you want the finished product (table) to look like. Do you want a trestle table or do you prefer one with legs at each corner. I am in the process of building a new dining table and chairs, and put this to my wife. She vetoed the trestle table design, and I agreed with her. It looks less work, but then you have to live with something that you chose for the wrong reasons. Note that I like a trestle table - built one for the patio, and had a gathering of 10 around it last night. However, it is not our choice for a dining table.

If the design preference you come up with is more work, then just take it slowly, break down the build sequence. That will get you there. I am designing carver chairs, and they are rounded ala MCM. Very daunting at this stage, but I am confident that it can be done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Tony

Put aside for the moment what is easier or less complicated a design, and ask yourself what you want the finished product (table) to look like. Do you want a trestle table or do you prefer one with legs at each corner. I am in the process of building a new dining table and chairs, and put this to my wife. She vetoed the trestle table design, and I agreed with her. It looks less work, but then you have to live with something that you chose for the wrong reasons. Note that I like a trestle table - built one for the patio, and had a gathering of 10 around it last night. However, it is not our choice for a dining table.

If the design preference you come up with is more work, then just take it slowly, break down the build sequence. That will get you there. I am designing carver chairs, and they are rounded ala MCM. Very daunting at this stage, but I am confident that it can be done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I probably would have tried to make a traditional 4 corner table but the bride prefers a trestle design to answer you post. Same as I would have done a Harvard shaker style but she wants something more beefy.

The stretcher on that Fine Woodworking table looks like it could cause some scraped shins. Be sure to round it generously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    The stretcher on that Fine Woodworking table looks like it could cause some scraped shins. Be sure to round it generously.
    The table is somewhat deceptive due to the perspective from the cell phone camera.
    The top is 30" wide and my 6'4" sons legs don't come close to touching the stretcher.

Phil