Thread: Adapting 6" (150 mm) plastic sewer drain pipe to 4" ribbed flex hose

Adapting 6" (150 mm) plastic sewer drain pipe to 4" ribbed flex hose

I have a 2 HP dust collector with a 6" inlet. I've begun plumbing in (and adapting) the 150mm /6" PVC elbows and straight lengths along the run, but I've become stymied at adapting the pipe to flex, corrugated hose from my machinery.
    Sawstop PCS = 4" outlet; Harvey bandsaw =4 outlet ", Dewalt planer, well you get the idea.
    I have the 6" to 4" "Y"s, but then I have the problem.
    The 4" coming off the "Y" has an inside diameter of 4" and outside diameter of 4 1/4"; my flex hose is 4" outside diameter so I can manfully stuff it in, but I have no idea how to mechanically keep it together besides using duct tape. If I inset a piece of 4" PVC, as part of the drop, I can't either expand the "slinky" hose or get it to fit.
    Has anyone come across this problem, and how did you solve it? Fernco fittings? Home made adapters?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Here is an example of what I have used in the past. You will still have to use a fernco fitting for the 6" size tp cpnnect since the od is only 6". I have used a heat gun to expand the pvc to fit over the adapter with some success, eliminating the need for the fernco. I have found a great deal of items for DC at Grizzly's website. They carry a large inventory of fittings for DC. I would check them out to see if they have other options.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/sho...0aAlzjEALw_wcB
    https://www.amazon.com/Reducer-Dust-.../dp/B009VDQCQ8
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

6" X 4" PVC is pretty easy, there's a PVC reducer fitting for that. I put some silicone on the inside of the 6" side of the 6 X 4 fitting and added 4 #8 bolts with fender washers to hold the hose inside the 6" opening of the PVC reducer. 4" PVC to metal may be trickier. In my case 4" S & D PVC fit over the metal dust collection ports on machines. I used a few self drilling self tapping screws to hold the 4" PVC in place. My early model Grizzly 1023 didn't have a dust port so I cut a hole in the door used to clean out the base of the saw and bolted doubled 3/4" plywood over the hole. Made a hole in the plywood to fit an adjustable HVAC elbow. 6" hose fit over the HVAC elbow pretty snugly, held in place with a hose clamp. To make the 4" 'nipples' I cut slots in the 'nipples' and bent them in a little bit so the 4" end of the 6 X 4 reducer would slip easily over the 4" 'nipple' but then once past the slots fit quite snugly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you can do a 5" drop, then there's a rubber Fernco sewer fitting that will easily adapt a 5" hose to a 150mm machine port. Performance will be better, too. Otherwise, you can either buy a commercial adapter from folks like Oneida or make something up like others are showing in this thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think this adapter is what you're after - the 4.25" OD option converts from PVC to flex hose.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/pro...e-adapter-4in/

Clearvue also has two 6 x 4 x 4 wye options.

I think the tall pineapple juice cans are the correct diameter for flexhose to slip over.
    Bill D

4" rubber no-hub coupling works well for 4" PVC drain to 4" flex duct.

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    4" rubber no-hub coupling works well for 4" PVC drain to 4" flex duct.
    https://www.fernco.com/products/flex...tock-couplings