Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Craftsman rachet

Repairing Craftsman rachet

Some of mine are difficult to switch the lever and the mechanism is not smooth. Anyway to troubleshoot this? Thanks brian
    Brian

Brake cleaner and a drop of oil. If that doesn't do it, it must have been a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Some of mine are difficult to switch the lever and the mechanism is not smooth. Anyway to troubleshoot this? Thanks brian
    Maybe just try and get it exchanged at Lowes (the primary venue for Craftsman tools these days) if they have the so-called lifetime warranty. But what you describe is likely either dirt or simple wear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If what Tom recommends doesn't work, you might take it to your local ACE hardware store. Mine handles craftsman tools and they may honor the warrantee. I don't know if they do but I have a boat load of Craftsman hand tools I used professionally prior to my retirement.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The new ones aren't anything like the old ones even if they look the same. If it won't go back to work, I'd just toss it and replace it with another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The new ones aren't anything like the old ones even if they look the same. If it won't go back to work, I'd just toss it and replace it with another brand.
    It's the sears version worth fixing. Brian
    Brian

Brake cleaner and a drop of oil. If that doesn't do it, it must have been a good one.
    Thanks I'll try that. Brian
    Brian

Mine that have been worn out were replaced with Gearwrench and Sunex. Quality is in that order. I have some old Snap On ones that are great, but have other places where setups are kept that don't get used that often but are great when needed, like in my truck. I'm assuming there is no need to spend as much as the tool truck brands, which unless one is making a living with them, the need is just not there. Check the price of Gearwrench and Sunex ratchets on Amazon and if it needs replacing decide how much money you want to spend on either of those.

Mine that have been worn out were replaced with Gearwrench and Sunex. Quality is in that order. I have some old Snap On ones that are great, but have other places where setups are kept that don't get used that often but are great when needed, like in my truck. I'm assuming there is no need to spend as much as the tool truck brands, which unless one is making a living with them, the need is just not there. Check the price of Gearwrench and Sunex ratchets on Amazon and if it needs replacing decide how much money you want to spend on either of those.
    I use some knock er loose, worked like a charm. thanks much. brian
    Brian

The last time I had an issue, you had to exchange them through Sears by calling the toll-free number. Lowes and Ace couldn't help. Sears issued an equivalent credit via email. I think I had to order what I needed online to be delivered to the local store because the stock was so low at any local stores, otherwise the shipping charges would have eaten a good chunk of the credit and not allowed me to replace items.

Couple years back, I had one replaced under warranty. Called the 800 number, Emailed them a picture with model #, and about a week later new one came by UPS. Unfortunately, the new one isn't the exact same model, as the old one is no longer made. In today's world, the quality of hand tools at HF is as good as most other retailers.

I had some extra craftsman wrenches (open on one end, box on the other), that were given to me as gifts over the years (beginning around 1976).
    I had both metric and standard (my bicycles all took metric, as did my Toyotas)
    So cleaning stuff out after retirement... took all the duplicates and listed them of Craigslist, with pics.
    All the wrenches showed the Made in USA imprint, most were barely used, some not used at all.
    I was got about $15-$20 per wrench (this was in 2018).
    People were promising me their first born male child, willing to sell a kidney, etc to get those USofA Craftsman wrenches.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Our Ace let me upgrade to the high polish pro version with multiple pawls and fine teeth. I paid the difference. The tool manager tried to chastise me for wanting to turn in a vintage classic. I stared at him blankly and said "But it does not work". He did not toss my vintage classic in the cabinet with the other returned ratchets, he discretely put it in his apron pocket.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    My Craftsman 3/8" digital torque wrench quit ratcheting. I removed the ratchet part, cleaned and oiled it, works fine now.

Wednesday I ran across a Craftsman Tool Collectors group on Facebook with over 40k members. Someone was looking for a specific 13/16" combination wrench which I happened to have. Apparently there are makers marks on them which is important to the collectors. https://www.facebook.com/groups/314339225358433
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-15-2023 at 9:04 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Couple years back, I had one replaced under warranty. Called the 800 number, Emailed them a picture with model #, and about a week later new one came by UPS. Unfortunately, the new one isn't the exact same model, as the old one is no longer made. In today's world, the quality of hand tools at HF is as good as most other retailers.
    On that last part, I agree, particularly for the average user. HFt's mid-range Quinn line with lifetime warranty is currently on sale for 20% off and hey have become my go-to as I've been replacing old stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...