Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of paint for dominoes

Type of paint for dominoes

I’m making some dominoes for a Christmas gift. What type of paint should I use for the dots; or what should I stay away from?

thanks in advance,

kendall

Also I should mention I will be doing them in 5 different colors

I would probably use rattle can colors for the game pieces and use gloss enamel for the dots applied by brush. The latter is even easier if the dots are recessed like commercial game pieces because a nice, soft, fluffy round brush will easily allow you to put the dollop of white into the recess without going over the edges if you are careful and methodical.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I would probably use rattle can colors for the game pieces and use gloss enamel for the dots applied by brush. The latter is even easier if the dots are recessed like commercial game pieces because a nice, soft, fluffy round brush will easily allow you to put the dollop of white into the recess without going over the edges if you are careful and methodical.

Thanks Jim, enamel paint is what I thought would be best but honestly don’t know why… I don’t think I’ve done anything it before. The dominos will be bare wood and the only paint will be the dots.

If you are using many different color dots then I would get an assortment of Testors model paint. It's what we used to use on model cars. I have seen it for sale in Lowes surprisingly. Beats buying a bunch of pint cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    If you are using many different color dots then I would get an assortment of Testors model paint. It's what we used to use on model cars. I have seen it for sale in Lowes surprisingly. Beats buying a bunch of pint cans.

that is a fantastic idea!!

If you get a small round nose router bit, you can chuck it into a drill press and make the "dimples" I mentioned if you want to take the time to do so. Since the cuts are very shallow, the tooling will work fine for the application even though the speed of rotation would be slower than with a router. A router would not be safe. (unless it's a CNC) Doing the dimples keeps the playing pieces effectively flat and the texture is typically part of the Domino game experience, too. But just painting the dots is fine, too, of course.
    --

If you get a small round nose router bit, you can chuck it into a drill press and make the "dimples" I mentioned if you want to take the time to do so. Since the cuts are very shallow, the tooling will work fine for the application even though the speed of rotation would be slower than with a router. A router would not be safe. (unless it's a CNC) Doing the dimples keeps the playing pieces effectively flat and the texture is typically part of the Domino game experience, too. But just painting the dots is fine, too, of course.

that’s not a bad idea Jim, I’ve already made all of the dimples with my shaper origin

Depending on the size of the dot / dimple a toothpick might be easier than a paint brush.

I would look at finishing the blanks dark then using the wood as your dot color. Then clearing the whole

I’m using walnut for the dominos, so I will be using brightly colored bold colors for the dots.

These aren’t traditional dominoes, they are triangle shaped called triominoes with different sets of dots in all 3 corners as opposed to the 2 sides of normal dominoes. I’m using different colors of paint (one color for 1, different color for 2…etc) to make it easier to match. I don’t want to have to count tiny 1/8” dots all night lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Scheier View Post
    I’m using walnut for the dominos, so I will be using brightly colored bold colors for the dots.

These aren’t traditional dominoes, they are triangle shaped called triominoes with different sets of dots in all 3 corners as opposed to the 2 sides of normal dominoes. I’m using different colors of paint (one color for 1, different color for 2…etc) to make it easier to match. I don’t want to have to count tiny 1/8” dots all night lol
    In this case you can try Ora mask. I would cut your blanks, apply Oramask, add your dots, Apply whatever your final finish will be(this will prevent bleeding), apply colors, remove Ora, apply clear everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Scheier View Post
    that’s not a bad idea Jim, I’ve already made all of the dimples with my shaper origin
    I guess I missed that you had the Shaper Origin. But for folks who don't, the method I mentioned can certainly work!
    --

I guess I missed that you had the Shaper Origin. But for folks who don't, the method I mentioned can certainly work!

you didn’t miss it lol, I didn’t initially say that I had one. No need to go bragging about a cool tool. I agree, however, your solution was very valid and a good resource for others

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    In this case you can try Ora mask. I would cut your blanks, apply Oramask, add your dots, Apply whatever your final finish will be(this will prevent bleeding), apply colors, remove Ora, apply clear everywhere.
    that’s a great process, you won’t have to worry about being really careful with a tiny brush that way