Thread: Bowfront Console Table: Bent Lamination

Bowfront Console Table: Bent Lamination

First attempt at using bent lamination technique for a curved table apron. Was not as difficult as I had first imagined.

Make a bending form:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Slice 1/8" strips on bandsaw and clean up each with pass through planer using sled I cobbled together (sorry, could not find pic of this)

Glue up: I learned to use cauls next time:

[IMG][/IMG]

The resulting curved apron prior to joinery

[IMG][/IMG]

Tenons created: full size sketch of parts was used for this

[IMG][/IMG]

Dry fitup

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished (well finish is not quite cured at this point but its close enough)

[IMG][/IMG]

Very nice piece. Thanks for the how too photos.

Phil, nice project - you needed all the clamps you could find for that glue up! Beautiful cherry. What was the glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Phil, nice project - you needed all the clamps you could find for that glue up! Beautiful cherry. What was the glue?
    Thanks! The glue was Unbind 800: applied with small roller. Some springback, but not too bad.

Ohhh. !!! Very, very nice! Well done!

PS.
    It's really hard to let go of a bending form like that, when the project is complete.

Once again, nice work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Really excellent result, Phil!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for sharing that, very nice work. The curved detail really adds to that piece.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Man, I love your work.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice work Phil, thanks for the photos. Piece turned out really well.

Beautiful table. Very nice.

I noticed the glue lines on the bent lamination are quite visible, as if the joints didn't get much clamping pressure. Cauls would improve that, as you said, but a vacuum bag makes it much simpler and guarantees uniform pressure. If you plan to do much lamination work, curved or flat, you might want to build/buy a vacuum bag system.

John

Thanks gents for the kind words!

John: Wait, are you offering me an opportunity to spend more $$ on woodworking accoutrements? Challenge accepted!

Blog Entries
    First try!?! Great result. What a looker. Thanks for the tag-a-long pics. Always enjoyable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Thanks gents for the kind words!

John: Wait, are you offering me an opportunity to spend more $$ on woodworking accoutrements? Challenge accepted!
    Always happy to help others spend their money. Several have returned the favor.

You can build a vacuum bag system for not much money. I make my own bags from sheet PVC, which can be glued with regular plastic pipe cement. Most any vacuum pump will work. I spent less than $100 total about 20 years ago. I still have that original bag, after 100's of uses, but have since made another for other work. You don't need fancy automatic vacuum maintainers, either. Buy a pump that can run continuously or use a simple on/off timer (my choice). You can spend a lot, but you don't need to. In any case, a vacuum bag opens up a whole 'nother world of woodworking to you, curved work, veneering, even making specialty plywood.

John

Really nice work.

Thanks Todd!

One more pic showing the table in its new habitat (gave finish a week to cure before moving it into place):
    [IMG][/IMG]